purim party: zooland, so we are going as...........chickens.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by nok13, Feb 21, 2013.

1. nok13

nok13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    we went to the dress up storage room our kibbutz has, along with a zillion other adults , to get costumes and find accessories for our purim dress up (an over 18 only party, the one time in the year where poeple actually drink, get drunk a bit or a lot, act silly, flirt a bit more then usual, and dare to do things they normally wouldnt do... a costume ball...)

so i am going as : an easter laying hen , alhtough i doubt anyone will get the joke or the pun (no one but no one knows what an easter egger is, and frankly , only european or american born folks here would even know what easter is , but so what):

the storage room has costumes that were made for varius and sundry plays, shows, and every year they (the sewing ladies) make a few new costumes, plus anyone that every made, sewed , bought or organzied stuff, donates to the storage room: old nightgowns, wierd caftans, belts, buckles, hats, gloves, etc...

so i have a chicken head that is comfortable to wear, found an orange fringed dress, and a feather boa. i also made:............... easter eggs!!! i remember in school in the states we used to dye eggs, so i found tumeric and made yellow, two food colouring liquids leftover from some cake decorations, so have two pink eggs and two green eggs, two natural white eggs, one egg coloured by paprika (pale pale reddish)-
    the eggs being donated by my hens. they will be in a purple basket...

hubby will be a thai fighting cock: black shirt, black pants, a chicken /rooster head, and lots of colourful tail feathers from some wierd costume that i will find a way to atatch to his jeans... he hates wearing this stuff plus it gets hot in the dining room/ballroom area, not to mention beer and wine flowing like water....

duaghter and boyfriend are going as jessica rabbit and her boyfriend, son is going as somethng that is a pun that cannot be translated but creative also. the youngest is with her volunteer group making a children's party for them.

btw purim is a religious jewish holiday but involves , in this day and age, dressing up and drinking wine and making merry, and also donating to charities and giving small plates of cakes and such to others... like people that u havent spokent to all year (its a way to break the ice and talk , by giving legitimacy to giving a small present , must be personally delivered. to charity it is anonymous)...
    our kibbutz donates costumes to children from needy families: lots of modern heros, but also biblical folks like queen esther, mordachai, and various others...

the kibbutz crew worked really hard: over nite, there suddenly appeared 30 pink flamingos that someone made from metal; elephant and rhino crossing signs appeared on side walks; pelican flight path signs also showed up. lifesize cutouts of animals were put up on dining room walls, everyday something new shows up.
    btw, if poeple are looking for frugal ways to live, then cooperative is the way to do it, at least when it comes to culture/religious activities...

1 person likes this.
  2. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

wow, That's sounds great.. And so awesome!!!
    Wish I could be there!!

3. nok13

Dec 8, 2012
    will post picks if we succeed....

4. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Sounds like fun - looking forward to the pics!

5. nok13

Dec 8, 2012
    [​IMG]here is one of just us.. in the back it says zoo and then the name of the kibbutz and a play on words... we stayed for an hour, danced a bit, and went home at around midnite jsut like most of us old folks. whats nice is that even the 80+ year olds were there, dressed up a bit, drank a bit of wine and some fig liquor. the first half was actually stand up comedy stuff (like village inner jokes, gentle fun about different poeple, some video clip spoofs and candid camera type stuff... like a family party jsut 500+ people in the family); the second part is always fun music that even us old fogies can deal with, and then teh techno boom boom boom stuff starts so that weeds out the older folks....

there were some amazing costumes there: most of us make our own, or make part and buy some accessories, or take from the costume storage room, to be returned at the end of this week..... its amazing how creative people can be. toatlly bought outfits are frowned upon. its like cheating. there were a bunch of guys dressed as ants with one person dressed as bug spray; a herd of zebras, a bunch of sheep (here it seems that we do stuff as groups, i dont remember groups of kids doing things like that at holloween), lots of pairs (kermit and miss piggie, jessica rabbit and boyfriend , a shcool of medusas with fluroescent day glo tentacles, flies, bears, and a set of avatars ... it seems that the older we get the more we dont worry about making fools of our selves and are willing to dress up and act silly. the younger people, mostly girls, seemed to do costumes that only involved ears and tails, so they could still look good for a party but be dressed up cause its bad form to not wear at least a silly hat or something...).. i guess, in the states its rather like the old fashioned barn /church parties/christmas costume balls etc... its a shame really that in the big cities and in the states there arent really these kind of things.
    its always a bit wierd to see your adult kids dressed up, drinking and making fools of themselves , or watching u do the same, but we all get used to it. we also work with our kids in the work places, or have to face them in meetings for different things, and there are families here that are three generations already, so like i said, a big family.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

my eldest duaghter's boyfriend is jewish ethiopian. my son was a pun on words of 'para moshe rabenu' which is a lady bug but he dressed as a para (cow) and as moshe rebenu (moses)...

6. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

wow, love it!!
    Love your costumes!!
    you all look so great! Thank you for sharing, looks like a real fun time!!

Great job on the costumes, you are far more creative then me!! :)

7. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    I love the costumes! Great job!

So your son was a "cow Moses". I see that the pun doesn't translate, but it's a cute idea. I'm afraid I almost made a pun in response, but I'm not sure how it would have translated, so I didn't say it.[​IMG]

8. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    holy cow?

9. nok13

Dec 8, 2012
    in hebrew, a ladybug is called 'para moshe rebenu' - para means cow, and the rest is of course, moses our rebee (rabbi). why a lady bug is called that i havent a clue///

so he was moshe, and a cow =para moshe rabenu... oh. well, lost in translation...

yep, now that purim is over, we have to start passover cleaning....... i started by throwing the chicks in to the greenhouse... thats it. no more chickens in the house. not only that i just saw a huge fly in teh house, that means there is still chicken poo somewhere that the chickens arent getting to scratch in....

closets and the entire apartment is full of chicken dust........ cant stand it, even me, the queen of laid back in cleanliness...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by