Purim Starts tomorrow

Hi jeaucamom, perhaps you could explain for those of us who aren't sure what it means? Please?

I'd love to!

Purim comes from the story of Esther in the Bible. She is a very young Jewess who is chosen as Queen in Persia, but King Achashverosh does not know she is Jewish. His right hand man Haman hates the Jews and is planning on killing all of them. Esther learns of the plot through her uncle and fasts for three days before approaching the King. She also asked all the Jews to fast with her and for her. If one approached the King uninvited, they were killed, so this took real bravery for her people. She invited both Haman and the king to a banquet and exposed the plot. Haman was killed instead of the Jews. The celebration that ensued at their deliverance was named Purim.

This is a VERY abbreviated version of the word of YHWH just to give you a jist of the story. Today this is celebrated with one day of fasting (tomorrow from before sunup to after sundown) and the celebration of Purim is on Sunday. A huge celebration with feasting and partying and dancing and giving to neighbors etc. It is a time to celebrate deliverance.

I am a Christian but as with all Christians, our roots are in Judaism, and it is fascinating and a very spiritual experience to follow the Jewish holidays.

So that is the basics of Purim.

Please if there are Jewish readers, I am sorry if I misrepresented anything. I care very much about this celebration.

You can read more about it here:

http://www.chabad.org/holidays/purim/default_cdo/jewish/Purim.htm

And you can read all about it in any Christian Bible under the book of Esther in the Old Testament.

nicely done, jeaucamom
thumbsup.gif

Just wanted to add that the word Purim means "lots" and refers to the lottery that Hamen used to choose the date for the massacre he planned for the Jews.

We don't fast for Purim, but we do party a bit! We will attend the megillah reading on Friday night dressed in costumes (not sure what yet), and we will be bringing our groggers to do our bit and blot out Hamen's name. On Sunday we are going to a Purim carnival. Sometime tomorrow or early in the day on Friday, I will bake some hamentaschen (the traditional cookie made for Purim), and we will hand out mishloach manot (basically goodie baskets to commemorate the holiday),to some neighbors and friends. Chag Sameach!

Last edited:
I am sad to say, that although I have quite a bit of Jewish family, all I know about Purim is that it's the kids favorite Holiday in temple, and it comes right before my cousin's birthday.

My Aunt married a Jewish man and raises her two sons in the Jewish faith, and my cousin married a Jewish woman and is raising his second daughter in the Jewish faith. So we have some pretty interesting holidays, like Kosher Easter (when Passover and Easter fall at the same time), and sometimes we combine Christmas celebrations with Chanukah, lighting candles before opening presents etc.

If I were back home, I would be staying at my Aunt's house and would be fasting for Purim and then attending Temple with them.

Laney
Who agrees that all Christianity began as Judaism.

Quote:
Thank you so much for all that great info!!!!
I would very much love the recipe for the hamentaschen!!! And what do you put in your mishloach manot?

Last edited:
Hamentaschen are cookies that are triangle shaped and have a filling in the middle (usually poppyseed or some kind of fruit filling). There are two different ideas about what they are supposed to represent, Hamen's ears or Hamen's hat... just depends on who you talk to. I have used several different recipes over the years but of course I can't remember where I got my favorite one from. I think this is it, but I can't say for sure. You can find lots of different recipes online.

Ingredients

1/2C unsalted butter at room temperature
1 1/4C sugar
2 tbsp milk
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
pinch of salt
1 1/2 - 2 1/4C all purpose flour

Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. In a separate bowl mix the milk, egg, vanilla or almond extract, and salt. Sift the flour into a third bowl (I don't do this step). Beat the creamed butter mixture with one-third of the flour, then gradually add the remaining flour, in three batches, alternating with the milk mixture. The dough should be the consistency of a loose shortbread dough. If it is too stiff, add a little extra milk. Cover and chill for at least one hour.

Preheat the oven to 350. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a thickness of about 1/8 - 1/4in, then cut into rounds about 3in in diameter using a cookie cutter. Place 1 -2 tbsp of filling in the center of each round, then pinch the cookie together to form three corners, leaving a little of the filling showing in the middle of the cookie. Place the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 15mins or until pale golden.

You can look up recipes for different fillings or use canned ones. We also use chocolate chips in some of ours because my kids don't care for the fruit fillings. In our mishloach manot, we will put some hamentaschen, maybe a small challah, and probably a couple other kinds of cookies or goodies. They are traditionally filled with foodstuff and/or drinks of some kind.

Potterwatch!!! Thank you so much!! I can't wait to make them tomorrow!! OOOHHHHHHHH jam and chocolate for the filling... I can't wait!!!

Back
Top Bottom