Purina Coop plans or something easy

Frosty29

Chirping
Nov 20, 2015
I just ordered six Ameracauna chicks and I have to start working on my coop. I used to have the plans for the Purina Coop and they are no longer available. Does anyone have a copy of these? Is there another simple cost effective design out there?

Thanks,
Billy

:welcome

There are tons of ideas in the coops tab above.
Are you thinking chicken tractor or a stationary coop?
How much space do you have to work with?
What is your climate like...hot, cold or lots of snow etc?
Will they have to be cooped up for days on end in bad weather?

Lots of questions I know. All are so we can better help you.

Please do not get taken by the widely available and cheaply made coops. So mnany do and end up regretting it.

For 6 hens I personally recommend at least a 4x8 coop. That is the coop alone not including the run.

I live on Long Island so we get 4 seasons. My house is on 1/4 acre in a suburban neighborhood. I am somewhat handy but I don't want to sink a ton of money into a coop. I just want a strong functional coop that will protect my chickens. My friend built the 4x4 Purina Coop and his six chickens seem to be doing well, they have a fenced in run and seem to be outside most of the time.

How big of a run do you recommend?

Recommended run size would be 60 square feet or a 6x10 run. Personally I would go a bit bigger. The chickens wont mind a bit of extra space.
I know cost is important.
Have you looked at pallet coops? Most of the materials are reclaimed so cheap or free even. There are some really nice (and simple) ones in the coops tab.

We are in the process of building a 4'x5' coop with about 50 sqare feet of fenced run. We have some scrap materials, but bought most new and all up we will have spent approximately $200. If you are somewhat handy and have someone to help, even if it's just to hold things in place while you drive a few nails, you can definitely build something sturdy for much less than you can purchase something of equal size. Good luck. Look at others' designs and go for it!

Here are the Purina coop plans. If I could make a suggestion, instead of 4' x 4', make it 4' x 6' or better still, 4' x 8' and leave the entire front (high end) wide open. Wire only on the front for good ventilation. Move the nest boxes from the front to the side and install all roost bars level (NOT the ladder style they show).

Also, if you then want to include an attached run, build a duplicate of this coop, but only the framing and roof. The plywood sides would be replaced with welded wire or hardware cloth. This one be attached to one side, with the pop door moved from the front to the side and opening into the run.

At that point, you have a really nice coop along the lines of a Wichita style.

As originally drawn, the Purina coop lacks light and ventilation.......may not have either. That may be why they took it down?

How big of a run do you recommend?

What materials are you using for your run? What standard sizes do they come in? If you are buying 2x4’s for framing that usually means 8’ lengths. If you are using other lumber or materials, adjust as necessary. What wire are you using? How long is the roll? I suggest making it as big as you can to efficiently use your materials. Your largest expense is probably going to be the wire.

I really like a run tall enough so I can walk into it without banging my head. There will probably be times you need to enter that run, for cleaning or to retrieve a chicken or eggs. That’s easier and more pleasant to do if you are not on your hands and knees.

I’m a proponent of making it as big as you reasonably can. In many ways that makes your life easier.

Back
Top Bottom