Purina 'Feed'-back

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by enggass, Sep 21, 2011.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Can you all help me learn the good, the bad and the ugly of using Purina Feed? I am thinking of switching from Blue Seal to Purina. The reason: because I can get Purina right down the road from me, or I have to travel 15 miles to get Blue Seal. What would you all do?
    THANKS.

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I have only ever fed Purina. I am not familiar with your other brand to compare the two. My birds have always done fantastic on Purina. Though they do like the Flock Raiser much better than the Layena, given a choice the Layena ends up on the floor and the FR gets eaten. [​IMG]

3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I'm also unfamiliar with Blue Seal, but I would compare the ingredient tags to see which is best for your chickens! Yeah, if I had to drive 15 miles to get what was better, I would--just stock up on it so you don't have to go so often.

4. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    I switched my little flock to Layena after starting them on a local feed mill brand that was cheaper. The feed mill brand smelled like chemicals, not feed. The girls ate it ok. The Layena smells wonderful, like molasses. The girls don't like it so well. Doesn't make sense to me. [​IMG]

5. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Quote:Do you supplement with Oyster Shells when using only Flock Raiser?

6. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:Do you supplement with Oyster Shells when using only Flock Raiser?

Yes, but only when they are laying heavily. Even when I don't supplement, I've not had shell problems. BUT I should say that the only birds that are on only the FR are broodies with babies, and adolescents, nearing POL. Everybody else gets both feeds, I just switch them every day or two so they don't have both feeds at once. The only exception to what I just said is my entire LF Faverolle coop is on strictly FR right now because there are 2 mommas with babies in there (I don't have to separate them out from that group), but I don't have problems with the shells in the other girls that are laying still.

7. I too only feed Flockraiser and am very happy with the results. I do offer oyster shells free choice at all times. I also feed some grain and they free range. Good luck!

8. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I really like layena, I just wish I could get it for the price the lesser known feeds in my area cost.
    I do use the coupons when I can so sometimes it is close in cost.
    It and a few more local brands is the only thing available close to my home.

9. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Dad had been feeding his baby white leghorns on a much cheaper chick feed and has realized that his chickens, now 2-3 months old, look sickly. Without any symptom besides looking puny, I talked him into finally using Purina chick starter. I know he will see a difference in a month or two. I have never fed mine anything but Purina chick starter and they are healthy and robust. I recently switched my 4 month olds to purina laying crumbles. I highly recommend it. It always smells nice and the chickens love it.[​IMG]

10. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    nurse, now that you mention that...I got some LF partridge Chantecler pullets from a friend of mine (that she bought from the same source that I had gotten my original 3 from) and she swore up and down that hers were bantams. She had been feeding something from the local feed mill. After about 5-6 weeks on Purina Start & Grow (medicated) they caught up to their sisters, and I can't even tell now which ones those three are. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by