Purina feed problem******UPDATE Page 4****** Sunday, 07/11

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Kirtusjon, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Kirtusjon

Kirtusjon Chillin' With My Peeps

My family has been using Purina feed for our chickens since I was a kid (35 plus years) and have never had any problems. We have had some of the most beautiful and healthy birds over these many years. This past month, We have lost 6 birds, including one of our best roosters, from choking on meal worms and its feces. The health of the over all flock was deteriorating. We had to stop with the Purina and went with Manna Pro from Tractor Supply. Has anyone else had any issues with their Purina feed?
    Thanks Kirtusjon

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  2. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    I had some quality control issues with horse feed made by Purina and now have my fingers crossed while feeding Purina chicken feed.

3. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Once Tractor Supply stopped carring Kent feed here we had to switch to Purina and our birds starting egg eating, feather picking, and wasting feed because it would either crumble to dust or the birds would just pick through it looking for a crumble they could eat. We had to supplement their feed to stop this awful behavior. In my own opinion, I think Purina lacks the proper diet balance for our birds. I finally called Kent and they have helped keep Kent feed on the shelves of another local feed store. Kent feed has been great for our birds, once we found a place that would carry it. Our birds are not feather picking or egg eating anymore plus they have stopped wasting feed which was another problem with Purina. We no longer have to supplement their diet and my birds are much healthier and happier now! If at all possible, I recommend giving Kent a try!

4. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
  5. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    I never really had any problems with the Purina, but I did some research, and found out that (in my opinion at least) going with MG feeds was way more Bang for my buck - plus it is closer to go to the feed store than TSC or anywhere that carries the purina chicken feed really.

I also think the chicks are looking better and growing faster than the batch I raised on Purina. READ LABELS - not only does MG come out of a place like an hour or 2 away from here, it so far has been the most local I can find for me, it has higher protein and such at a lower price - which just seems like a win win situation. I am glad I looked into it more. I have saved the cost of a full bag of feed every trip so far, plus it's half the drive.

6. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    I've never heard of MG or Kent feeds. Our choices are Purina, Southern States, and Dumor. Folks in NC, what are you feeding?

7. bigdaddyabc

bigdaddyabc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Greer
    Quote:I can get Dumor at TSC, but my local feed store carries Circle M. It is made in your neck of the woods, Western NC.

8. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I give my chickens Nutrena. So far so good. I'm not sure what other feed brand they sell. I will have to look into it. Never heard of Kent. I'm in Southeastern NC.

9. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Purina feed(Flock Raiser and Layena) seems to have a tremendous amount of dust and makes my birds sneeze a lot-not a fan.

10. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    i am going to try FRM feed.i have heard good things and your local feed store might be able to order it since it is a southeast feed company.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by