Purina Feeders!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by IAK, Oct 13, 2009.

1. IAK

IAK Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2009
    Has anyone compared the results of Flockraiser and oystershell to straight Layena? Assume you don't care whether it comes in pellets or crumble. Specificially I am looking to see whether it makes any difference in regards to egg size/quality/appearance.

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I use flock raiser and oyster shell because my birds are all different ages. I'm curious to see if there is a difference in the eggs as well. I do know that mine have very hard shells, good yolk color and are averaging "large"

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I use Purina Layena with my main flock. I use Flockraiser and Oyster shells with my Silkies. All of my eggs are good quality and nice hard shells. I couldn't tell ya about size, because my main flock in only 22 weeks old. The Silkies have very nice size to their eggs, not real small.

4. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    I mix a little flock raiser in with my layena for the added protein. I do offer oyster shell too. Nice hard egg shells everytime.

5. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    I have a 4" tube PVC feeder. I fill it by alternating scoops of Flock raiser and Layena. I offer a separate feeder of oyster shell. I have beautiful eggs with hard shells all of the time.

6. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I'm guessing that based on the responses, there is no difference in the eggs

7. rstampa

rstampa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Tampa, Florida
    Quote:As long as you supply them with Oyster Shell when feeding them the Flock Raiser feed especially. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  8. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I feed layena, but I also mix in oyster shell, b.c I was getting soft whelled eggs. (hens are going on their 2nd winter) I do also feed alot of table scraps, so that's probably why I was getting soft shells.

9. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    I use purina Layena, and it works very nicely.

It has vegetable oil in it, so they lay better, supposedly. (Don't quote me on that [​IMG] )

And it is made out of all natural ingredients. Not necessarily organic, but still, it doesn't have any 'Recycled' animal products in it.

10. Bookworm chick

Bookworm chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    I switched to Flock Raiser almost 3 weeks ago. I don't know about Layena, but I'd previously been feeding Dumor laying mash but introduced the mother and chicks back into the flock and didn't want the chicks eating the layer feed.
    I've always had hard shells, even with the Dumor. The yolks do seem to be a nicer color now.
    I did notice a slight increase in the quantity though.
    I have just 4 layers currently. On the Dumor I was getting 7-8 eggs per week. Since I started them on Flock Raiser I've been getting 12-13 eggs per week. This is only the 3rd week on Flock Raiser so I don't know if the feed is the reason for the increase or not. I also supply oyster shell free choice.
    I don't know if this is a good average or not for that number of layers.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by