Purina Flock Raiser + Oyster Shell...brittle egg shells

vantain

Songster
Sep 2, 2018
Southern Minnesota
So my 3 ISA Browns have been molting for the last couple of weeks. They aren't in a full molt, but it seems to be more gradual. I can feel and see many pin feathers on them. In any case, I switched them to Purina Flock Raiser, plus free choice oyster shell. The oyster shell is always out and available, even when they were on the Layena feed. I figured the added protein would help during this phase. They are 19 months old.

These egg troopers have not stopped laying, even while molting. Egg production is down, but I still get at least one to two eggs a day, sometimes even three. However, for the past several days, the egg shells have become extremely brittle. Just picking them up out of the nest causes them to break if I'm not careful. I'm not certain they are getting enough calcium. I know one of the birds does eat the oyster shell, as I have seen her do it. I have never witnessed the other two eat it.

I also thought about keeping them on the Purina Flock Raiser with free choice oyster shell permanently. I do want to add new hens in the spring, and figured I could feed them all the same thing full time, once they are integrated. I know it is early now to be thinking of that, but the molting had me switch in the first place.

Any ideas on how to address this? It certainly seems to be related to the feed issue. Go back to Layena?

I use All Flock and I supplement with my chickens eggs shells. I crush them up and throw them in the yard, they eat them when they need them. I also give soldier worms, which have a good source of calcium and I spread those a couple days a week. I haven't had issues with brittle eggshells except for in the beginning when they first started laying. I have a drake and roosters so I don't give layer feed. I have put the shells in the food and spread them in the yard, my chickens prefer them in the yard in the compost pile.

Interesting! I don't have sex-links or white Leghorns, so have had no issues feeding Flock Raiser. I do now have one brown Leghorn pullet, we'll see how she does.
When I fed a Layena, my birds didn't molt as easily as they do now, and raising chicks and having cockerels and cock birds made diet management more difficult.
Mary

So my 3 ISA Browns have been molting for the last couple of weeks. They aren't in a full molt, but it seems to be more gradual. I can feel and see many pin feathers on them. In any case, I switched them to Purina Flock Raiser, plus free choice oyster shell. The oyster shell is always out and available, even when they were on the Layena feed. I figured the added protein would help during this phase. They are 19 months old.

These egg troopers have not stopped laying, even while molting. Egg production is down, but I still get at least one to two eggs a day, sometimes even three. However, for the past several days, the egg shells have become extremely brittle. Just picking them up out of the nest causes them to break if I'm not careful. I'm not certain they are getting enough calcium. I know one of the birds does eat the oyster shell, as I have seen her do it. I have never witnessed the other two eat it.

I also thought about keeping them on the Purina Flock Raiser with free choice oyster shell permanently. I do want to add new hens in the spring, and figured I could feed them all the same thing full time, once they are integrated. I know it is early now to be thinking of that, but the molting had me switch in the first place.

Any ideas on how to address this? It certainly seems to be related to the feed issue. Go back to Layena?

I have a mixed flock and use Raiser + oyster shell. I’ve also noticed weaker shells lately. I also started mixing layer feed with the Raiser and that solved the problem. I’m mixing 1/2 to 1/2.

I have only girls outside at the moment so I just feed layer with free choice oyster shell. I have babies in the brooder though and when the get full size if 5-6 weeks they will be going outside and I will have to feed them grower until what are pullets start laying. If their are guys in the group I will follow the advice posted above about the all flock and oyster shell free choice, maybe some layer thrown in if I get soft shells..

With high production hens like isa browns you may run into shell issues using a non layer feed as you are. I had the same issue. I started mixing 1/3 layer feed to the flock Raiser and it helped. Oyster shell on the side I personally don’t think it is enough for high production hens. Hope that helps.
I started doing the same..just mixing in some of the layer feed. Unfortunately, the layer feed is pellets, and the flock raiser is crumbles..and you know chickens..lots of pellets on the floor of the run near the feeder! Silly chickens.

Back
Top Bottom