Purina Flock Raiser? What are your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kuntrygirl, Jul 7, 2010.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I was in TSC and I noticed that they sell Purina Flock Raiser. It looks like chickens, ducks and turkeys can eat it. Does anyone use this? If so, do you like it? Is it nutritious? Can this be used as feed alone? What are your thoughts about this feed. I want to try feeding it to my animals but I'm not sure.

2. cterbizan

cterbizan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Most use it. It is a great feed if you are mixing ages or animals. Yes it can be used as feed. I just bought some because I just went on vacation and I have a hen laying on an egg that we were scaried may hatch when we where away. It is a great feed.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  3. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I use it for my girls. I have 1 year olds and 15 week olds together...I offer oyster shell on the side for the layers.

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

There's lots of threads on here about it if you search.

I love it myself, although I only wish that it was offered in the pellet form in my area (medicated and/or pelleted forms of the feed are offered in different areas, but not where I am). It is especially good for me because I like to free range younger chicks with my adults.
    I simply put out oyster shells for my laying hens if they need more calcium.

5. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Save your money & buy a locally milled grower/broiler feed. Flock Raiser is nothing different.

6. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    Currently Flock Raiser is all I use. [​IMG]

Hens, Roos, chicks and ducks are fine!

7. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    I use it oo, it's the easiest. HOWEVER...my TSC just stopped carrying it. [​IMG]

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:I tried the local mill's gamebird feed, and my chickens didn't seem to like it (which could save on feed costs [​IMG] ) but I sometimes feed them Dumor grower feed because it does come in pellets and they seem to like it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by