Purina Flock Raiser?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Pater est Pullis, Jan 13, 2018.

1. I'm a bit confused, I just picked up 2 bags of Purina Flock Raiser, from TSC, when I emptied them into my storage bin, they were different colors, one greyish, the other beige. What's up? It shouldn't matter which plant manufactured it, if using the same ingredients/formula, right? Actually looks like the layer/raiser blend, I did previously.

penny1960 likes this.
  2. TattooedChicks

TattooedChicks Songster

Jan 21, 2017
    Kansas City
    Are the milling dates the same? That is pretty odd.

3. MLG1900

MLG1900 Chirping

Dec 27, 2017
    Do the tags both say the same thing? I remember one time buying food that was the same outside bag the the tag was different. starter, grower, etc?

Pater est Pullis and penny1960 like this.
  4. Milling dates are about a month apart, and both tags say it's flock raiser. :confused:

penny1960 likes this.
  5. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I wouldn't be happy, and would call Purina Monday.
    What were the mill dates? I don't buy any that's older than four weeks, and use it up within two to three weeks. Older isn't better!
    Let us know how things go with Purina, and DON"T throw the bags away! They will want the dates and lot numbers on the tags.
    Mary

6. Folly's place

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I quit putting the feed into the garbage cans directly; it's always left in the feed bag, so if there's an issue, it's obvious which bag/ lot is the problem.
    Mary

7. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Crowing

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    Read the ingredients. I bet the ingredients are different.
    I have tags from the same layer feed,(not Purina). One manufacture date:03OCT17. The other 11DEC17. The ingredients listed are different. The first five are in exactly the same order. After that they are different and the December tag has Dried Kelp. The October tag does not. They were manufactured at the (AL) plant. I believe that stands for Albany, NY. GC

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Pater est Pullis likes this.
  8. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Songster

Mar 19, 2016
    34.560847, -81.154203
    My Coop
    I've had the same thing happen...twice. I ferment their feed and usually the mash is a pale olive drab. but one batch turned out yellow and they wouldn't touch it. I wrote Purina and got no response, so I threw it out and got another bag from a different outlet. Recently I came across another bag of "yellow", but at least this time they're eating it.

I don't know what's going on, but I would think a feed producer as well established and reputable as Purina would have better QC. If anyone get's a whiff on what's happening, please post it.

Pater est Pullis likes this.
  9. Now that you mention it, when I did the layer/raiser blend, the girls picked out the lighter colored layer feed to get at the darker raiser, leaving quite the mess around the feeder.

penny1960 likes this.
  10. Folly's place

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Call Purina! Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: