Purina flock raiser

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by henney penny, Feb 13, 2012.

1. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I have silkies and four of them will soon hatch out orp babies,my question is,all ages will be in togather and all are being feed purina flock raiser,is that ok for the babies as well?I have tried to think of someway to serpate them with seperate feeders and waters but its just not possible with limited space.There is not as much calcium in the flock raiser so I`m thinking it will be fine.Or I could feed everyone chick feed,it would have to be medicated as thats all I can get here.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

A flock raiser or all flock feed is usually preferred in a mixed age flock. Your instincts were right.
    You'll have to offer calcium, by offering shells on the side, which the chicks rarely mess with.
    I'd not feed medicated to the entire flock. Immunity will usually build in naturally brooded chicks.

3. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Thanks for the quick answer as I am on my way to get feed

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Ive used Flock Raiser with NO problems with mult aged chickens. Just offer calcium shells on the side and they will be just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by