Purina flockraiser

KyBlue

Songster
14 Years
Dec 13, 2008
Southeastern KY
I have been feeding Purina Flockraiser to some of my chickens for a couple of years now. I have been very happy with it. I am not a fan of other Purina feeds and will not buy it except for the Flockraiser. Now I'm very disgusted with it also! I bought two bags this week and they were not worth carrying home. The feed is really dark, even darker than coffee grounds and has a very strong smell to it. The chickens will barely even eat it.
Does anyone know if Purina has changed the Flockraiser feed or did I just get a real lousy batch?

Last edited:
Lousy batch. Take it back right away, don't let your birds eat any more of it. I used to occasionally get a bag that was a darker tan color, but it hasn't been that way in a long time...and never THAT dark!

I agree, take it back as soon as you can! You either got a bad batch, or and old batch.

I use Flockraiser also and really like it (although prices went up this past week!)
I've never gotten any that was dark..I would def. try to get my $ back.

Just opened a bag of Flockraiser today, bright yellow tanish color. You definately got a BAD batch...take it back and don't let your girls eat them!

I took the Flockraiser back to Tractor Supply and got a refund. They only had other bags with the same lot number as mine, so I ask for a refund instead of an exchange. I also emailed Purina and asked them if they had changed their formula on the Flockraiser and I received this response from them this evening.

"The Flockraiser formulation has not been changed. I would recommend returning all of the unused product in their original bags back to the store where purchased. You should be able to exchange those for 2 other bags, or get a refund of your money. You also will want to check the production date stamped along the bottom and get one from a different day if possible. This is stamped in the following order Year/Month/Day/Plant/Shift."

The Purina representative was helpful and very quick returning my email. I was impressed.

So, for the ones of you that use Flockraiser, this is the lot # on my bags. 10 OCT 12 NST2A1

Last edited:
I love Purina Flockraiser too. My birds like it and do very well on it. I noticed the date when I first started buying it and always get the freshest bag that TSC has. If it's not fresh enough, I let them know and they will usually have in new bags within a day or two at the most.

Sounds like something went wrong in the mixing process or the feed somehow spoiled after it was made. I've been using Flock Raiser for years and it's been very consistent. Every rare once in a great while I'll get a bag that is buggy that I take back. This usually happens in late summer.

With any kind of feed you always want to look at the outsides of the bags for signs of dampness or discoloration. A sure sign of spoilage.

I was going to ask you about the date on the white ribbon seal of the bag, but it's obviously not an old bag. I always check that too. Flockraiser should be golden and has a nice fresh smell when I open it up. That sounds like a really bad batch.

Back
Top Bottom