Purina Game Bird Chow safe for muscovies? (pics inside!)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lugh, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Lugh

Lugh Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2014
    Deerfield Beach, FL
    Hi all--

Did a forum search and couldn't find an answer-- my local feed store suggested I move on from the Purina Game Bird Flock Raiser feed that I was giving to my 4.5 month old muscovies to Game Bird Chow - Growth and Plumage. I've been feeding it to them for a few days and they seem to love it, but it has some hard corn in it that isn't cracked and I'm worried it might cause problems or become stuck. Should their gizzards be able to handle this or am I asking for trouble?

Any advice is much appreciated.
    [​IMG]

2. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    What protein level is it? Seems like a game bird feed would be too high in protein and cause angel wing. I feed mine purina flock raiser and they do great.

3. PalmRoyal

PalmRoyal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Lima, OH
    My Muscovies love their corn and eat it very readily. Mine are also fed around 18% protein and love it. So far I have not had any problems with them, however 14 hour out of the day, my ducks free range and one hour of the day, they eat up their grains and everything I give them.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Ducks can definitely eat whole grains especially Muscovy, mine have access to whole corn. I do ensure my birds have grit even though they free range. As for the feed itself, i would need details on it.. can you post the tag info?

5. Lugh

Lugh Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2014
    Deerfield Beach, FL
    Thanks for the responses all. This is rather irritating to me since what I bought at the feed store isn't even listed on the Purina website, nor does the back of the darned package mention what's inside the package. Check out the pics.

.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  6. Quackers Mama

Quackers Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2014
    Houston, TX
  7. Lugh

Lugh Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2014
    Deerfield Beach, FL
    I know it's not the startena because the startena is a uniform crumble feed that doesn't have cracked corn, seeds, or anything else like that in there. I believe this one is called "Game Bird Blend" which is 14% protein.

Regardless, really crappy labeling on the bag.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Just to have peace of mind contact Purina I have emailed them before and they are very good at getting back to you. I do give whole corn to my flock of chickens/ducks/geese they all love it as a treat. I use Purina flock raiser as feed.

9. Quackers Mama

Quackers Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2014
    Houston, TX
    All these feeds give me a headache lol.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Especially if your allergic to them [​IMG] I really like Flock Raiser I start my ducklings from hatch on it and they stay on it till old age and pass away. I have 3 that have eaten it 0ver 10 yrs now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by