Purina Game Bird Startena?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by erinchelsea, May 17, 2012.

1. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Songster

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    I did some calling around and found Purina Game Bird Startena nearby- anyone start their turkeys on this? It's 30% protein and medicated.

2. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Songster

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    I've used this with no problems. It doesn't say that it's medicated on the bag, though. The tag on the bags I get just says Purina Game Bird Startena. For starting pheasants, quail, chukars, mallards, turkeys, and other exotic game birds.

3. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Songster

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    Thank you! I asked the lady at the feed store and she said it contained amprollium (sp?).

4. Frosty

Frosty Songster

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I use the Purina Gamebird Startena, but mine isn't medicated. It's probably the same as with chick feed, you can get medicated or non medicated.

R2elk likes this.
  5. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Songster

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    I guess so. What should I look for on the label to tell if it is medicated? I couldn't see anything saying it was. I did ask 2 different people at the feed store and they both said it was medicated.

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Read the tag that should be sewn into the bag. It will list the ingredients including any medications that it may contain.

Usually the word "medicated" is printed on the bag somewhere as well.

7. debs_flock

debs_flock Crowing

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    At my feed store, they always say it's medicated. They just assume that starter is medicated. Game bird or turkey probably is not.

Best to check the label.

Deb

8. Frosty

Frosty Songster

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Purina didn't always have 'medicated' written on the bag, they just started that recently. Read the ingredients and see if it lists Amprollium. I think the label on the chick starter used to have something like % MP at the top. I don't use medicated feed so I can't be sure. The medication (usually Amprollium) just makes Thiamine unavailable to coccidia so it can't survive.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  9. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Every year I have the feedstore folks tear the PAPER TAGS from the bags of the 4 types of Purina Gamebird sold (like to compare for any changes - tags aren't posted on the web - only the `guaranteed analysis').

Unless Purina is introducing something new in Iowa, the Startena sold, here, has never been offered with Amprolium.

Give them a call and ask: http://www.wildlife.purinamills.com/products/ECMD2-0017382.aspx

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  10. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    That is the only thing that I use. I love it. I wouldn't use anything else. It's my feed of choice for my poults.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: