Purina Horse Feed (Horse Owners Please)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Tinted, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Tinted

Tinted Songster

Apr 17, 2010
    Kentucky
    I am about to move my horse to a barn where I will have to buy my own feed, I am looking into feeds that are easily available at my local feed store for a 1/2 decent price. Here is what I have come up with for my 4 year old Anglo Arabian Gelding who is worked for 1-3 hours a day 5-7 days a week. Any and all suggestions are welcome!

-Strategy[​IMG] Professional Formula GX
    -Omolene #200[​IMG]
    -Omolene #500[​IMG]
    -Strategy[​IMG] Healthy Edge[​IMG] (If I can get it)

Does anyone have any suggestions on picking out a reasonable feed for my horse?

2. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Songster

Jul 26, 2010
    If the hay is good you wouldn't have to get any concentrated feed. We just feed hay and Grow N Win.

That said, Purina products are always good quality.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I've used Omalene 200 with good results but if my horse is on HIGH energy, a 500 would suffice. It has been so long since I've had Purina feeds for my horses. With my Pasos, I had to be careful how much Omalene I use and dilute half Omalene and half oats because it would just makes them too HOT to handle and I only want to give them the energy they can get out of their feed. Also above average quality of hay would help that along too.

4. joedie

joedie Songster

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I've also used Omalene 200 with good results. Glad you're getting out of your current barn! [​IMG]

5. mylittlezoo

mylittlezoo Poppy Creek Farm

Mar 16, 2009
    GA
    The Healthy Edge is a good food, but it really depends on whether your horse is the 'wired' type - it sent my Haffie through the roof. I have found the Triple Crown feeds to be far superior if you are able to get them.... the Low Starch gives a great ration but without the heating energy, and it really helps with balancing weight too.

If Purina truly is your choice, then look also at the Naturals range, you may be able to get away with just feeding the Enrich with a good quality roughage.

6. Tinted

Tinted Songster

Apr 17, 2010
    Kentucky
    My gelding is an Anglo-Arabian who is generly calm and cool, and currently fed 6 lbs of sweet feed a day and 4-6 flakes of hay a day. The new barn I am going to has nice hay, but I must supply my own feed. Any other brand suggestions that are easily available in the Bluegrass state?

7. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Songster

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    I have cutting and reining horses that get used hard. I feed Omolene 200. That's what I feed any broodmares and babies as well. I've got good hay, so only feed a non-breeding stud about a scoop a day. Stallions who are being stood AND used get twice that. It is rare to need any more than that. However, I am feeding a 23-yo mare who is a really hard keeper and she gets 5 scoops a day! plus all the hay she can eat. You really have to go by the condition of the horse and the quality of the hay.

HTH

Rusty

8. Tinted

Tinted Songster

Apr 17, 2010
    Kentucky
    Quote:Have you found that is makes your horses "hot?" I am worried that feeding #200 will make my gelding hot if I dont ride for a day to two due to school and what not.

9. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    I think Strategy would be your best choice, as you don't need to feed a lot of it. Read the bags carefully, and go on the web site. Purina is really good at helping you choose the correct feed for your horse. I have used Purina horse products for over 20 years with my Arabians, and preferred Strategy for almost all but my very senior horses and broodmares/foals.
    Also, the owner or manager at the feed store where you plan to purchase should be able to help you.

10. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Songster

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    Have you found that is makes your horses "hot?" I am worried that feeding #200 will make my gelding hot if I dont ride for a day to two due to school and what not.

I am riding quarter horses, a bloodline that I've been involved with for many years. Most of my horses have a few years on them and lots of training under the belt. I don't find them "hot" but they are ridden often, stalled only at night, and out in pasture when not working. They are all well-mannered but have plenty of get-up-and-go when the situation calls for it. Good minds as well as sound bodies. I've also had drafters (though not currently), but I do not have experience with Arabs, Warmbloods, Thoroughbreds, or any of the non-stock breeds, so I cannot offer opinions there.

HTH

Rusty​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by