Purina Layena food OK for 10wk old chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by donnavee, Jun 26, 2010.

1. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I have six 10wk old chicks that are starting to mix with my 1yr old hens. So far, they are getting along pretty well but no matter how hard I try, the little ones want to eat the layer pellets. My older hens wouldn't eat pellets until they were much older, but these don't seem to mind.

I went to TSC today looking for some grower/breeder pellets thinking I could feed that to the entire flock and offer oyster shell on the side for the hens. They only had it in crumbles which my hens refuse to eat. I explaned my dilemma to a sales person on the floor (who seemed knowledgeable - said he has chickens) and he said the layer pellets would be OK for 10wk old chicks. So, I came home with a bag of Layena pellets.

So what to others on this forum think? Ok or not?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I keep them separate until they are at least 16 weeks old. ... usually until they are between 18 and 20.

10 weeks is to young for them to be chowing down on Layena... their bodies aren't ready for that yet.

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I suggest you keep them on starter until they're near laying age.

Layena "layer" has extra calcium that chicks don't need and shouldn't have. According to what I've read.

4. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    Personally I would not feed layer to chicks. Your first idea about grower with free choice oyster shell is a better bet. I have seen bantam chicks who were always fed layer fron the beginning look weak and small and never thrive; and even die. So I am wary of it. Too much calcium for them and they can't get rid of it via egg laying.

5. donnavee

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I am so frustrated. I've been to Southern States, TSC & a local feed store and cannot find starter/grower or grower in anything but medicated. I have one other place I will check on Monday, so untile them I'll just do my best to keep the little ones out of the layer feed. They do have their own sectioned off space, I've just been letting them mingle a bit to help in the meet and greet process.

Thanks for all the replies.

6. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Quote:Another place to check is your local Co Ops they typically carry Chicken feed or can have it ordered. I use custom recipes mixed at a local Co Op I Just pick what i need VS Protien% 28% starter I slowly reduce the amount of protien added by taking out certian grains ect. Remember when the local stores fail everyone everywhere harvest something at a Co Op..

7. donnavee

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I checked another local Feed store and finally found the grower/breeder without medication or calcium. It's crumbles vs the pellets I wanted but I was too tired and frustrated to look any further. I am too new to know what to ask for in a custom chicken feed, but I guess they could help me with the mixture. Thanks.

8. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Quote:or you could ask me hehe thats what were here for [​IMG]

9. Wherever you are getting your Layena from ask if they have Flockraiser....all your chickens can eat Flockraiser is you are putting them together, but you will need to put out oyster shells for the year old hens...unless your 10 week olds won't leave it alone. Then they should be seperated. I feed all my young chickens flockraiser, its non medicated and they grow out nicely on it, but I do not put them with the older hens until they are at least 18 weeks old and then start them on Layena. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by