Purina Layena Omega-3

Discussion in 'Nutrition - Sponsored by Purina Poultry' started by Dandelion44, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Dandelion44

Dandelion44 Just Hatched

May 21, 2016
    Taylor, TX
    I have had good luck with Purina Layena products. I just started the Omega-3 fortified food.

My question is poultry biochemistry related:

How efficiently do chickens convert ALA (alpha-linoleic acid) to EPA and DHA?

This leads to more questions--

Should I feed them a fish oil supplement in addition to their food for EPA and DHA omega-3s?

2. DrPatrickBiggs

DrPatrickBiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    Great question! Chickens are quite efficient at converting ALA into longer chain fatty acids such as EPA and DHA.

Layena Plus Omega-3 uses flax seed to provide a supply of ALA to the hens. The hens can take the ALA from flax and add increase its length to form EPA and DHA. For example, a hen fed a diet with no flax or fish will have about 3.28% of the fat that is an omega-3 to convert into longer chains. Hens fed flax can have around 31% of the fat as an omega-3 to convert to longer chains. Those same hens fed the diet with little omega-3 will produce egg yolks that contain 1.64% omega-3 fatty acids – 1.02% DHA and 0.62% ALA, no EPA. The birds fed flax seed in their diet will produce yolks containing 7.82% omega-3 fatty acids – 1.42% DHA, 0.29% EPA, and 5.79% ALA.

We would not recommend adding fish oil to their diet. The omega-3 fatty acids can give the egg a fish-flavor. We have tested the Layena Plus Omega-3 product to determine how much flax seed can be added without altering the flavor of the egg. I would be afraid that adding fish oil on top of this diet might lead you to alter the flavor profile of your eggs. When using fish oil to increase the Omega-3 content of the diet, the maximum amount added is around 2% of the total diet. If you are going to add the oil to the feed, I would do so sparingly. If the eggs start to taste different, then back off the amount of oil being added.

1 person likes this.
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Interesting... Some of the game bird feeds I buy have fish oil, but I never thought about how that might affect egg taste.

-Kathy

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  4. mamadukes1

mamadukes1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2015
    I've had my 13 hens on this for over year now and they have done great and I have beautiful yummy eggs.

5. mamadukes1

Jul 29, 2015
    My one question with is is that I was told to start switching them over to feather fixer to help with their molten but my chickens are going through 40 pds a week is this normal amount for 13 gems??? Just wondering before I start to switch them. Tks

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I think it's within the normal range.

-Kathy

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @mamadukes1 , I think a hen will eat 5-10% of it's body weight per day.

Five pound hen - 4 to 8 ounces per day

-Kathy

8. mamadukes1

Jul 29, 2015
    Thanks Kathy

9. DrPatrickBiggs

DrPatrickBiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    During molt, hens require higher protein levels for feather regrowth. We recommend switching them to Purina Flock Raiser during this time period and then switching back to Layena when the hens begin laying again.

10. Gabyota

Gabyota New Egg

Jan 10, 2015
    West Covina California
    Hi where I can find this purine flock raicer?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by