Purina Layena

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Manok-Tao, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Manok-Tao

Manok-Tao Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2010
    W-S NC
    Starting a small flock of laying hens. Two years ago I had 4 birds, bought as pullets and fed them layena the entire 6 months I had them. The birds also ranged over the whole yard during the day when let out and had a run that was about 140 sq ft; so they had all the tasty protiens they could find. Always had great egg production and healthy birds...occasional runny poop but never anything serious or long lasting...whats the input on this feed?
    J

2. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    i like it so far!

3. Big Chicken Little

Big Chicken Little Chillin' With My Peeps

I like it and so do the birds .... I have 20 hens and get 8- 12 eggs every day

4. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I don't like it. I have 25 hens and had to change my feed because TS no longer carried it, they went to Purian so I had to get Purina. My hens stopped laying and I was down to 3 to 4 eggs a day. Now I go to Agway and they claim it's a better feed. I got 11 eggs today and I'm staying with that feed. No more Purina for me or I should say my hens.

5. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I don't like it. I have 25 hens and had to change my feed because TS no longer carried it, they went to Purian so I had to get Purina. My hens stopped laying and I was down to 3 to 4 eggs a day. Now I go to Agway and they claim it's a better feed. I got 11 eggs today and I'm staying with that feed. No more Purina for me or I should say my hens.

6. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I feed the Purina Layena pellets, and the Purina Flock Raiser mixed together (for higher protein). In the middle of winter, I am getting 12-16 eggs per day from only 20 hens, 2 of which are broody right now...I am going to switch out to the layena crumble rather than the pellets though, because they do tend to scratch out the pellets to get to the flock raiser crumble, so if I mix the crumbles together I am hoping I won't have that issue. [​IMG]

7. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    what is the point of the higher protine? I have never known.....

8. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:I like to feed higher protein in fall and winter, when they are regrowing feathers after they moult, and they need more energy to keep warm, I also feed just the flock raiser to brooding hens, and I feed it during growth between chick starter and layer feed.

9. rirluvr

rirluvr Gallus Domesticus

Well, I am about to switch my girls from grow mash up to layer feed and the one at the store is purina layena I hope my girls do well with it. My girls are also allowed to go out and eat grass and any bugs they can find.

10. redhawkou812

redhawkou812 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Joelton, TN
    Ours have done fine on it - they prefer the crumbles though. I accidentally bought pellets last time and had to mix warm water in with it to get them to eat it. Have 11 hens and have been getting 10-11 eggs daily even in the cold weather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by