Purina Mills Food recall in Eastern US

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lemurchaser, May 6, 2008.

1. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    This is from the Purina Mills website.

"Eastern U.S. Feed Product Retrieval
    Land O’Lakes Purina Feed LLC has implemented a voluntary product retrieval
    of certain feeds manufactured between November 3, 2007 and February 8,
    2008 at our Statesville, N.C., feed plant; between January 1, 2008 and February
    8, 2008 at our Harrisburg, Penn., feed plant; and between January 1, 2008 and
    March 10, 2008 at our Guilderland, N.Y. plant.
    This voluntary retrieval was initiated due to the possible presence of aflatoxin
    contamination above acceptable levels.

To date, we have received no confirmed aflatoxin-related animal health
    complaints involving any of the retrieved products. Nevertheless, we have taken
    such precautionary action as our utmost priority continues to be our customers
    and the well-being of their animals.

All dealers who purchased any of the retrieved products directly from Land
    O’Lakes Purina Feed LLC have been notified. These dealers are located in the
    following states: Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Maine, Maryland,
    Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina,
    Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia and
    West Virginia.

Our investigation and product testing identified one ingredient of concern, which
    originated from a single supplier. We have discontinued purchasing from this
    supplier. Other feed companies that purchased from this supplier are facing a
    similar situation.

For more information about specific products included in the retrieval, contact the
    Statesville, N.C., Feed Plant at 704-924-5100 or the Harrisburg, Penn., Feed
    Plant at 717-737-4581. "

2. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Just another thing our goverment does is recall the product after everyone has done used it. [​IMG]

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Uh, it's not "government" recalling the feed.

It's Purina, the company.

Although they have *really really* bungled the situation by not announcing it publicly sooner, imo.

Pat

4. S0rcy

S0rcy Chillin' With My Peeps

"To date, we have received no confirmed aflatoxin-related animal health
    complaints involving any of the retrieved products"

Sounds as if they reported it in time, if no complaints have been registered. They identified the source, cut it off and are doing a recall. How early should they have done it?

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Thanks for the information! I wonder if it's all of their feeds. [​IMG] Dog, chicken, goat, etc... I guess I will have to call the number provided to find out! Thanks again!

6. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I do not use Purina but my feed store carries it. I saw the recall posted on a horse site that I visit long before they contacted the feed store to get the recalled bags out of there. It is not all their grain and I did see a list with numbers that would be on the bags themselves. There was a little of all livestock and it seemed to be alot of horse feed. If anyone has any Purina they are wondering about your feed store should by now have the list of recalled grains.

7. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    Quote:Purina Mills is not the same company as Purina (owned by Nestle), so dog and cat food is fine. From what I could get possible ALL purina Mills foods are affected.

8. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Lovely. I fed my chicks and ducklings a 25 lb bag of Purina Start and Grow and I live in CT. Too late to do much about it now and I've switched to a different brand anyway.

9. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the info-I use Purina everything for my animals, yikes:eek:

10. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    This is the Number on the Chick Starter/Grower that they are recalling, got it from the other BYC EZ Board site...

61S30057259....

I had to go out and check a bag I have...need more this week so taking this number with me to the feedstore...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by