Purina Mills

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jmeeter88, Aug 25, 2008.

1. jmeeter88

jmeeter88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    New Hartford, NY
    How do people around here like the Purina Mills feed line? Do they have a good reputation in terms of chemicals, nutrients, etc?

2. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    I think they are good quality. Poultry Press often has coupons. I have used this brand for my layers because I like the pellets. There are not many places around me that sell this brand, so it isn't easy for me to get.

3. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

having JUST located our local Purina Mills store and being that I've only purchased chick starter/turkey starter so far all I can say is this...

purina mills smells better and has a bit more protein than the co-op product of the same

dumor chick starter and finisher have lots more protein than either the co-op or purina mills feed and smells YUMMY. it however is not medicated and perhaps THAT is why it smells so yummy, I don't know at this point.

as far as chicken growth... I must admit, the dumor seemed to make for nice feathers & fast growing chicks... the co-op/purina chicks seem to be slower to feather and are not growing as quickly for sure.

These are my NON scientific observations as this point. I think the best course of action as stated on BYC is to find what's closest and choose what's least expensive if you don't have some preference already.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2008
  4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

That's all I use.

5. Ladysonja

Ladysonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Porter, Texas
    My girls and babies seem to perfer the Domor chick med starter/grower over the Perina or Co/op.

I was only able to find 1 store that sells Perina and it is a bit out of the way, but is closer to work when I need a bag.

I would have to agree about Feather and Growth on the Domor. I saw a difference.

6. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

I like purina.... But I stopped using it the prices got out of line with reality.

7. Jilara

Jilara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm very pleased with Purina Layena crumbles. My hens really love it. I just moved them over from Start 'n Grow, and they were starting to turn up their beaks at it in favor of scratch, while they go after the Layena enthusiastically, and leave the scratch for later.

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I agree the price has went up too much, but it's the only kind over the years that my hens eat and don't just bill out looking for something they like. I figure if they're going to waste the other stuff and not eat it I might as well buy them what they'll eat.

9. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    We have used the Purina SunFresh poultry feeds with good results and healthy hens. Most importantly, as mentioned by others, they eat it instead of billing it out.

Purina SunFresh is one of the few brands we have access to that don't use animal proteins in their feeds. Price-wise still $3 to $5 per pound less than certified organic feed. The certified organic feed we were using is a 5 hour round trip, so the Purina won out when gas went over $4/gal.

A plus in my mind is that NONE of their poultry feed has ever been involved in a recall.

10. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    I use the Purina Sunfresh and my chicks love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by