Purina okay to feed ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tadpole98, Feb 24, 2013.

1. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    I am getting ducks in a month or so, and I buy purina from family center for my chickens. Would it be okay to feed that to ducks?

Or what do you feed your ducks?

2. countrygirl74

countrygirl74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2012
    Northern Arizona
    Are you just talking about the Purina brand? A lot of people use Purina chick starter for their ducklings, then move to a Purina flock raiser when they're older, if that's what you mean. The Purina chick starter is just fine for ducklings but make sure you just use the UN-medicated chick feed. Also, ducklings need EXTRA niacin that chicks don't need and feed doesn't provide. Let me know if you would like more information on how to provide niacin for them or if that's something you already have in place.
    I've raised a small flock of chicks and ducklings on Purina before but our current flock is being completely raised on organic feed so I don't use the Purina anymore - but it's a good feed if you don't care about organic.
    Have fun with your new ducks!!

3. tadpole98

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    i dont ever feed medicated, and theres nowhere here to get organic feed. so im just going to get the chick starter. How do I get Niacin? [​IMG]

4. countrygirl74

Oct 19, 2012
    Northern Arizona
    There's several options to supply niacin to your ducks so you can do some research on here to learn more about other ways, but it seems the most popular way, and the easiest for me, was just to get a bottle of niacin capsules. They cannot be labeled "flush-free" or "time-release" - you just need plain old niacin. Some people have found them at their local grocery stores but I couldn't find the right type anywhere but my health-food store. I get the 100mg capsules. The ratio is 100-125mg per gallon of water. I pull the capsule apart and pour the powder into a gallon jug - I just re-used an old milk jug that I had washed out. I usually add some warm water to the jug first and shake up the powder as it dissolves better than in cold water. Then when it looks pretty dissolved, I will add the rest of the water. When it's gone, just make another batch! This is the water your ducklings should get for at least the first 10 weeks for drinking. I did it for 12 weeks and now just give them some niacin water here and there, especially in winter when I know they are not able to get a lot of bugs (good source of niacin) You can also sprinkle brewers yeast on their food if you don't want to mess with water. I liked doing the capsules with water because I knew I was getting the right amount. Hope that helps!!

5. tadpole98

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    that does help a lot! thank you. We have a health food store about an hour and a half from here that im pretty sure has it. My dad works right next to it though so every once in awhile he can stop by and stock up on some. Thank you!

6. tadpole98

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
  7. countrygirl74

Oct 19, 2012
    Northern Arizona
    Yes, that looks fine! The tablets should dissolve just fine too.

8. tadpole98

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    im glad i have gotten that cleared up about feeding/watering. I was most stressed about that! we are going to start building the coop in the next couple weeks. we only want 10 ducks. :) (Making space for 15 though [​IMG] )

9. tadpole98

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
  10. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    If you can get Purina chick starter then you should be able to get Purina Flockraiser which would be a better option in general for your ducklings. I have used it from the start with my ducks and geese and didn't have any troubles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by