Purina omega 3 laying formula with flax seed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by clickncluck, Jul 8, 2011.

1. clickncluck

clickncluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    Kahaluu on Oahu
    Has anyone tried this feed? My feed store will only sell it in whole bags and with just 2 hens Iʻm reluctant to buy an entire bag. I was always told to refrigerate ground flax seed because the oil goes rancid so quickly. Has anyone had trouble with it going bad before they can use it up? I live in Hawaii and Iʻm always worried about pests getting into things, although I guess with chicken feed that should just add extra protein?

2. Medicine Man

Medicine Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    It's when the flax seeds are broken/ground that they can go rancid quickly. I do not know how Purina may have circumvented this as I am not familiar with the product. If you would like, you can always add raw, whole flax seeds to your current feed of choice at a rate not to exceed 10%, by weight. This recommended inclusion limit is from Jeff Mattock's publication "Pastured Poultry Nutrition" which can be found via the Google. [​IMG]

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Just save yourself some money and buy a bag of *Linseed from a feed mill.

* Linseed is the exact same thing as Flax seed at a fraction of the cost.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flax

Chris

4. meowteri2

meowteri2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    chicago sw suburbs
    I bought some 2 weeks ago. It waas in pellet form. The chickens always had the crumbles before. They are eating it. See my post on size and price.

5. clickncluck

Feb 28, 2011
    Kahaluu on Oahu
    I couldnʻt find a source of linseed here, but I did try and feed them whole flax seeds. They really loved it!

6. pjknust

pjknust Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Texas
    I have always been told that flax seed are useless unless you grind them up and comsume them within 15 min.

7. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I'm currently feeding this to my hens that are 19 weeks old and haven't started laying yet. It comes in 50lb bags and it's a pelleted food. I haven't had any problems with the food going bad and it last about 2 or 3 weeks or so with 8 pullets to feed. I like the pellets over the crumbles...less waste.

8. clickncluck

Feb 28, 2011
    Kahaluu on Oahu
    Quote:I think that is for humans. I suspect their little gizzards with all that grit grind them up pretty good. Just a guess though.

9. Medicine Man

Medicine Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    Quote:I think that is for humans. I suspect their little gizzards with all that grit grind them up pretty good. Just a guess though.

Yes

10. zekii

zekii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    Bought a bag yesterday since I had the $3 off coupon, noticed that this is a 40 lb bag ,, so you're getting 10 lbs less
    just factor this in to your feeding cost ...

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by