Purina Omega 3 Price

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by meowteri2, Jul 9, 2011.

1. meowteri2

meowteri2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    chicago sw suburbs
    I go to buy some feed and see this stuff. So I ask the guy how much more is it than the regular layena. He says a dollar. So they bring a bag to my car. I get
    home and find out it is only a 40 pound bag.
    So here is how I feel.
    First they raise the price of feed. Then they offer coupons that still does not bring you back to the original price. Next take 10 pounds away.
    What a great deal from purina.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Can you say Organic Rip Off?

3. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Not happy with them either, bought some feed (pellets) while meeting constance to add a roo to our 2nd flock, drove 80+ miles home, and food was moldy clear through. Called the feed store and the manager was very helpful and said he would call right back. The whole palette was bad and from the look he said it was bagged too moist and he has seen it before [​IMG]

He then gave me another brand with same ingredients, apologized again and gave me a free bag!

Not sure I want to try Purina again any time soon....

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  4. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Quote:Purina Omega 3 IS NOT Organic.

5. Medicine Man

Medicine Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    Quote:Save the hate, bro, it's not even organic.

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    As soon as I saw it was only a forty pound bag I lost interest. Same price but 20% less feed equals a twenty percent increase in the cost. Not interested.

7. Merryment

Merryment Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2011
    What a rip just to give your girls some Omega 3! I go to Aldi's and get cans of no-salt packed in water sardines in a can for a buck (buck-buck-buck, as the hens say). They get a big treat once a week - can you say velociraptors?! - and plenty of Omega 3's. Once a week isn't enough to give the eggs an off flavor; even once a month isn't too bad. Mash 'em up a bit with a fork and watch the girls go ga-ga. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  8. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Try adding flax seeds to the feed and the Omega 3 levels will rise. do not use flax meal as it goes rancid quickly. Some chickens will not like the flax seeds. Most feeds use the flax for Omega 3. Feeding them greens also raises the Omega 3 levels. Kelp is also good to supplement with.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I just bought feed yesterday 2- 50 lbs bags of Purina Flock Raiser. It is now $16.96 a bag here. It seems like it goes up every few weeks. [​IMG]

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    If you want to up the Omega 3 Fatty Acids in your feed just add any of the listed seeds/oils listed below-
    Linseed (Flax)
    Hemp Seed
    Whole Roasted (full fat) Soybean
    Cold-pressed and unrefined soybean oil
    Cold-pressed and unrefined wheat germ oil

Chris

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by