Purina or Dumor?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ddmiddle7, Jul 12, 2011.

1. ddmiddle7

ddmiddle7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    At my local TSC they offer two different brands of chicken feed, Purina or Dumor. Which one do you guys think is better and why? I have been giving my chickens the Dumor brand since I have had them. No particular reason exactly except the fact it is like a dollar cheaper then the Purina. I don't mind spending the extra buck or so if it better for my girls.
    Thanks,
    Dereck

2. mons02035

mons02035 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    Carmel, Maine
    It was told to me by a TSC employee that dumor is the store brand equivilant to purina and made by purina. In other words, they are the exact same product, according to the employee. I have never actually checked into this though...

3. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    I think Purina is better, but that's just a personal opinion.

4. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    I've used both but prefer Dumor starter because they sell #20 bags which stays fresher. I recently tried Purina Flock Raiser for the first time and it molded within a week.
    In any case, never had problems with Dumor in all the years I've had chickens.

5. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I mostly use Dumor for mine.. my "local" TSC doesn't carry much of a variety of the Purina feeds however that's pretty much all my mother used when I was growing up.. I know they have changed all their formulas though since she was alive and used them.. I think they MIGHT carry Layena now.. but I haven't checked recently.. they do carry Flock Raiser.. but I have heard mixed reviews about it

For my layers I mix feed.. they get Dumor, sweetfeed, black oil sunflower seed and occasionally I throw in a handful of rabbit pellets or some gamebird starter if they look like they need it

My usual local feedstore doesn't carry either one.. but my birds don't care for their feed (Golden Oak).. so I end up having to go to two different places for critter feed

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

DuMOR is indeed made by Purina. No one "hides" the fact. The recipe is ever so slightly different. Afterall, Purina wants to protect its brand name, but DuMor is equally as fine as the product that bears the company name.

7. Ilovemyladies!

Ilovemyladies! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Hills of Kentucky
    I use Dumor for chickens under 20 wks and Purina for 20+ wks. Thats just my personal opinion even though they are made by the same company....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by