Purina Organic feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cherylcohen, Nov 28, 2009.

1. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    I've been buying an Organic feed for my girls at the local feed store, and I thought they said is was made by a division of Purina, but when I visit their website there is no mention of organic feed. I no longer have the bag so until the store opens I'm just wondering if anyone knows about this.

The question I'm trying to answer is if my organic pellets are as good or better than the layer pellets as my girls are in the laying age group but only one has started, so i was concerned that maybe they weren't getting enough of something.

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Remember you are paying much more for basically the same product. To be called organic it only needs to have 1/10 of 1% organic material in it.

3. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Where in the world did you read that, panner? I have not researched the use of "organic" in livestock/poultry/pet foods for several months, but the last time I checked they had to meet the same standards as foods for human consumption if they label themselves with the organic seal or as certified organic. In the past, there has not been separate regulations for animal feeds (unless that has changed in recent months). The regulations to claim official organic status are actually quite stringent. The food must have at least 95% verifiable organic ingredients (for which again, there are very strict guidelines) and the remaining 5% must be ingredients that are not available as organic. To even claim to be "made with organic ingredients", the food has to be at least 75% certified organic ingredients.

I have never heard the figures you quoted mentioned anywhere. Is that a new thing? Do you have a link to that information? I know the last time I researched this there was talk about regulations specifically for animal foods, but nothing was in place yet separate from the regulations for human foods.

4. bibliophile birds

bibliophile birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Purina is part of an umbrella corp., so your organic feed may belong to the same umbrella but not actually to Purina. that's probably why it wouldn't show up on their actual website. see if you can find info on the Purina site that says who they are processed by (it'll usually say something like "a __ product") and then look them up.

the marketing chain is ridiculous. basically, companies don't want you to realize that they are almost all controlled by a very few massive umbrellas. Purina "owns" several brands, some that are totally disgusting and some that are infinitely better than Purina. and then Purina itself is owned by some other conglomerate. and it might be processed in factories that process for other brands that are completely unaffiliated with Purina. it's insanity.

bravo for choosing organic. even when it's tied up in all this marketing hoopla, it's a better choice in the long run.

5. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Quote:I used to deliver veggies to the produce market in South San Francsico and the prices was the pits. The guy that was next to me unloading had less than half the load I had, yet when we were paid he got way more money than I did. I asked him why he got so much more for the same poduct, he said his was organic. From than on all I delivered was organic and I was never questioned. The boss couldn't believe the amount of money I made for him. Nice Christmas bonus.
    As for the figures I use, they are from a radio show on farm products out of Sacramento, Ca. It is on every week end. These are the experts from UC as well as local farmers.
    How can a farmer on one side of the road have organic prodducts, while the farmer on the other side uses any and all the sprays he wants. Most of the spraying is done from airplanes anyway. There is no way to control where the spray goes.
    I use NO chemicals on my property, yet my neighbor does. I couldn't get cerifited if I wanted to.
    And my daughter works for one of the large feed companies, so I know what goes in thier products. When they change over from regular to organic, they just change the bags.

6. silky ma

silky ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Unfortunately nothing is really truely organic anymore!!! Past pesticied use has tainted the whole globe! Other countries that have higher pollution and banned pesticides that we export to them are transported via trade winds back to us even in low quantities.

7. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:That may be the most blatanlty false statement I have seen on this forum. I have great difficulty understanding how so much ignorance can still exist around the organice industry. Some folks believe it is a better way to eat others do not I could care less one way or the other, but it is a very regulated industry and yes open to folks cheating such as the person on this forum that stated they went to the Farmers Market and sold products as organic even when they were not. Shame on you.

Geeze read some of Mac in Abilene's intelligent posts on the subject and then go sit in a corner for saying something so horribly inaccurate.

2 people like this.
  8. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    To me, organic is a buzz word that adds to the price.

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Purina Layena has done wonders for my flock.

Got a record 17 eggs today out of 22 laers... 7 more yet to lay.

10. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:It may be a buzzword to you and that is fine, it doesn't change the truth that in order to produce or legally sell organic product you must use a very strict protocol in growing. Also I am in the food business and every literally every publication now from restaraunt to wholesaler to retail publications address the organic market place.

Just because it provides not value to you does not mean it is not a legitimate industry with very real standards and practices.

Many folks choose not to pay for the product many do but it cant be disregarded.

You can believe the sun wont come up tommorrow that is fine with me but it will certainly rise despite your beleifs

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by