Purina Poultry Feeds- Yes? No?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by koakritters, Jul 8, 2011.

1. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    Our new feed store is having a grand opening sale tomorrow, and they are advertising all Purina Poultry Feeds (and equine, and others...) are buy one get one free. I've never used their foods before, is it worth switching over to? I've got a bunch of babies right now, and several older ones that are ready to come off their starter food.

2. AprilW

AprilW Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    north Georgia
    I raise rabbits in addition to having chickens. A lot of breeders refuse to feed Purina because their normally nice show rabbits weren't in good condition even on free feeding rations. I also know that my hens haven't laid a single egg since I bought Purina Layena. It could be something not related at all, but I'm interested to hear what others say.

3. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2009
    Las Cruces, NM
    I'm feeding Purina medicated starter feed to my chicks ( 1 week old) but would like to see what others recommend too. I have no other brands to choose from and my chicks are doing well on Purina feed for now.

4. Mikee1948

Mikee1948 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
  5. chickmchickie

chickmchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    I always fed Purina to my chickens, and now first time getting chicks i got purina start and grow with out meds, due to mine are vaccinated.

6. pjknust

pjknust Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Texas
    I have been feeding the Layena for over 2 yr. And the Purina medicated chick starter/grow to my baby chicks. No problems. I did order some soy free to add to the mix, and starting adding Ultra Kibble yesterday.
    My hens are 3 yr old so I dont get a bunch of eggs, and I think my dogs steal a few also.

pam in TX

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:I don't quite understand this - isn't the vaccination for Marek's Disease? Medicated feed is for the prevention of coccidosis, an entirely different problem.

I could be wrong, of course, but that's what I understood about the vaccinations.

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I've had great results from Purina Start and Grow with my 12 weeks old chicks--haven't lost any of 38 and they are all fat and healthy. I have collected the ingredient tags off the major brands (Nutrena, Dumor, Southern States, and 2 other farm store brands) available in southern Ohio, and I think Purina looks pretty good in comparison.

9. Widget

Widget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Limington, Maine
    I use the Purina Flock Raiser for my ducks and turkeys. They have always done well on it. I've also used it for the chicks too. Otherwise I tend to use Poulin grains. Poulin is easier for me to get, my local feed store delivers to me for me, and it is cheaper than the Purina. But I do get quarterly coupons from Purina and I make sure to take advantage of any savings I can get.

10. chickmchickie

chickmchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    My chicken coop at one time was used by someone else. I moved here about 3 years ago, and i cleaned and cleaned it, but since i have no idea how the people who lived here before kept things let alone their chickens, i got the Coccidiosis Vaccination. Coccidia are common protozoan parasites. They are present in almost all chicken yards and can lay dormant for years until chickens are introduced. Heavy infections of coccidia cause serious disease and may kill many chickens. Chickens of all ages can come down with coccidiosis, but 4- to 16-week-old chickens are most commonly affected. Wet litter, poor nutrition and concurrent diseases are the most common triggers of coccidiosis.
    I also Vaccination for Marek's Disease...Marek’s is a widespread disease affecting domestic chickens in all sections of the world. It is characterized by lesions affecting the nervous system, organs, and other tissues. Young chickens under 16 weeks of age are most susceptible. There is no treatment for Marek’s once the birds are infected..
    So if your birds are Vaccinated you dont need to feed a medicated feed.. You can over doze them and then nothing will work at preventing keeping them from the above.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by