1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Purina Start and Grow

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by webdawg, May 6, 2007.

1. webdawg

webdawg Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2007
    Kingman, Az
    Is this all that chicks need or am I suppose to be giving them grit or anything else? They are currently 4 days old. Thanks

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

As long as they aren't getting treats, which they are a bit young for, that is all they need. I never give my chicks grit, because by the time they get treats they are outside running around eating the rocks and dirt.

3. webdawg

webdawg Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2007
    Kingman, Az
    Thanks Silkie

4. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Like silkiechicken, said ..

Except remember if they eat anything other than the Start & Grow, they will need grit. This includes human treats, grass, bugs. So if you put them outside on grass in 2 to 4 weeks, they will need grit.

I wouldn't take a chance that the birds will find grit in your yard because grit is not expensive. If you have access to a farm or feed store, a 50# is under $10. I bought chick grit in June 2006 (50 pounds for $6) and just had to buy the second bag a couple of weeks ago. I have a flock of 16.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by