Purina start and grow

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crazyhen, Oct 21, 2008.

1. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I just emailed purina to ask what their start and grow has in it. It says medicated but doesn't list it in the ingredients. Thats weird. Could it just be the vitamins they added? Boy if that is it then it would explain why alot of us are getting cocci. If so how much amprolium would I need as a preventative ? jean

2. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you sure it says medicated? I have Purina Start and Grow and it is NOT medicated and does NOT claim to be either.
    Purina Start & Grow[​IMG] SunFresh[​IMG] Recipe
    HOME>OUR PRODUCTS>PRODUCTS>START & GROW[​IMG] SUNFRESH[​IMG] RECIPE

What It Is...

An 18%-protein ration perfect for raising laying chicks from hatch to laying age (18-20 weeks).

This SunFresh[​IMG] Recipe diet takes “natural” to a whole new level by using only the freshest, highest quality sun-grown grains and plant proteins to give birds the wholesome, healthy goodness and fresh taste they deserve. Made from natural plant-based ingredients FREE of all animal proteins and fats, it contains all the quality nutrients necessary to produce strong, healthy, beautifully colored birds.

FEATURES BENEFITS
    SunFresh[​IMG] Recipe Natural Plant Proteins
    FREE of all animal proteins and fats for healthy, happy birds.
    Superior Nutrition Strong Start, Uniform Growth and Great Appearance
    Consistent superior nutrition for optimal growth and great-looking birds.
    Essential Amino Acids Delivers Top Muscle Development, Growth and Vigor
    Enhanced with lysine and methionine to give birds the healthy
    nutrients they need to grow strong and active.
    Proprietary Level of Vitamin E Supports a Healthy Immune System
    A strong level of Vitamin E helps birds ward off disease.
    Exclusive Level of Marigold Extract For Brightly-colored Beaks, Shanks and Overall Appearance
    A high level of xanthophyll, a natural coloring agent derived from
    marigolds, ensures bright coloring for a beautiful flock.

Key Level of Vitamin A Strong Reproduction and Overall Health
    Strong Vitamin A fortification helps birds grow into healthy breeders.

Complete and Balanced Wholesome Nutrition with No Supplements Necessary
    Top nutrition requires no supplementation – all necessary nutrients are present.

Certified Natural Assurance of Quality – It’s Nutrition You Can Trust
    Our guarantee that this is the very best feed providing safe,
    natural nutrition for poultry.

Feed Form: Crumbles

How and When to Feed:
    Feed Purina Mills[​IMG] Start & Grow[​IMG] SunFresh[​IMG] Recipe as the sole ration to free-range and confined chickens (including backyard egg producers, small to medium breeds and fancy and exotic breeds) free-choice from hatch until laying age (18-20 weeks).
    At 18-20 weeks of age, feed Purina Mills[​IMG] Layena[​IMG] SunFresh[​IMG] Recipe free-choice.
    Always provide shelter and a constant supply of fresh, clean water.
    Consumption will vary depending upon season of the year, nutritional needs of the animals and availability of other foods.
    Important:
    A feeding program is only as effective as the management practices. Actual results can vary depending upon feed intake, environmental conditions and the quality of management practices.

Caution:
    Store in a dry, well-ventilated area free from rodents and insects. Never use moldy or insect-infested feed.

Guaranteed Analysis
    Protein, not less than 18.0%
    Lysine, not less than 0.88%
    Methionine, not less than 0.32%
    Crude Fat, not less than 3.0%
    Crude Fiber, not more than 5.0%
    Calcium, not less than 0.75%
    Calcium, not more than 1.25%
    Phosphorus 0.6%
    Salt, not less than 0.35%
    Salt, not more than 0.85%
    Vitamin A 5,000 IU/lb
    Vitamin E 14 IU/lb

ANIMAL PROTEIN–AND FAT-FREE. Contact your local manufacturing plant for a current feed tag.

Quality Controlled by Purina Mills[​IMG] Research

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  3. crazyhen

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    it says medicated. big letters. jean

4. the simple life

The one I listed doesn't so maybe they have two kinds. Is it called the Start and Grow or something else? You can go to their website and look up all ingredients in all of their products. They have contact info there too.

5. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    There is medicated and non-medicated Start N Grow. You have to specify which one you want.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

They have medicated and unmedicated. The medicated has amprolium in it. I haven't looked in a while, but it always was listed on the label in the past.

7. the simple life

Purina Mills[​IMG] Start & Grow[​IMG] SunFresh[​IMG] Recipe is intended for layer chicks and should be fed from the time they hatch until they are ready to lay at about 20 weeks of age. Start & Grow[​IMG] is a complete feed containing all the proper nutrients to grow healthy chicks and comes in the form of crumbled pellets (etts). Start & Grow[​IMG] Medicated can be fed to chicks until 8 weeks of age to prevent coccidiosis.

I found this on their website, so they have two kinds of start and grow. If your's says Start & Grow Medicated then it contains the ampro.
    The other kind is the Start & Grow Sunfresh and is non medicated.

8. crazyhen

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    thanks, When I went to the web site I could not find it but here is a pic of the bag. It does not say amprolium in the ing.

[​IMG]

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Look on the white tag that is attached at the bottom. It should say it on there.

10. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by