Purina Start & Grow SunFresh vs Home Grown Starter/Grower

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jomoncon, Dec 5, 2010.

1. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    I have 8 RIRs that are 7 weeks old. I got them at 10 days old & have been feeding them Purina Start & Grow SunFresh since then. When they had eaten all of the first bag, I went back to the original feed store to get some more. I told them I needed the starter/grower food for chicks. I paid for it, and they put the 50 pound bag in the car. When I got home, I opened the bag & started feeding the chicks. Only then did I notice that the feed they sold me was Home Grown Starter/Grower 18%.

As a new chicken owner, I don't know if this feed is OK or not. I tried doing a google search, but could only find a 23% starter/grower. Then I started getting confused about if it's produced by Country Acres Feed, or the Bartlett Group, or Land o Lakes. I can't tell if it's medicated or not. Here's the tag from the bag.
    [​IMG]

What's your opinion on this feed as a replacement for the Purina Start & Grow SunFresh.

2. cletus the rooster

cletus the rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

here the medicated feed has a green label.i use 21% starter/grower

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Medicated feed SAYS so on the label.

Brands don't make a lot of difference in feeds as long as the ingredients are similar

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    They will be fine!

5. rolffamily

rolffamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Home Grown is also a Purina product. It is just a step down from Layena and Sun Fresh. You are still feeding a quality feed. Purina is part of Land O Lakes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by