Purina SunFresh Recipe

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TillinWithMyPeeps, Jan 22, 2009.

1. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Is this good stuff?

Isn't it just regular Purina chicken feed?

Is there a better nationally branded food or is it all pretty much the same?

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I think it's become their regular feed. There are quite a few good feeds out there, not just Purina

3. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Thanks!

Does anyone else use this kind of food for their chickens?

I need to start the chicks on the Start and Grow, right? The Purina website got me confused. [​IMG]

4. swampwander

swampwander Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Mims, Fl
    I used the Start and Grow for my girls when they were chicks and now use the pelleted Layena. There is less waste with the pelleted layena than the crumbles. It is the most commonly carried feed here which has no meat products in it. I got a little annoyed when I first started down this road a few years ago looking at feed in different places that had chiken by products in them.

5. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    I started out with the start and grow and now use the Purina sunfresh crumbles, my girls love it, and did not like when the feed store did not have any and had to use a substitute. So in other words, I use it and like it [​IMG]

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I use the sunfresh start and grow for my chicks.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My original flock was raised on it. Later, after research, I changed future flock additions to a starter that still contained animal protein, which is also much cheaper than Purina, but excellent quality. Sunfresh is a good feed, but vegetarian, though there have been some complaints since Land o Lakes bought Purina about quality from some people.

8. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Speckledhen, what brand of feed do you buy that still has animal protein? I am having a terrible time finding animal protein feeds around here. I was buying Nutrina, but my feed stores have quit handling it saying the price has gone up out of reach.

9. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    i love their scratch, lots of grains not just corn like some others

i tryed nutrina, i thought it made the chicks stink, not just their poo but their skin
    i went back to purina and the stink was gone [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

ADM Alliance Pen Pals, Faithway Feeds, Tucker Milling and Buckeye all have animal protein still.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by