Purple comb, drooping tail, and underweight PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mitzory2014, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Mitzory2014

Mitzory2014 New Egg

Oct 26, 2016
    Hello I'm new to BYC but I really hope somebody can help me with my sick rooster. A couple days ago I started noticing that my rooster wasn't as lively and active as he was before, later his comb started getting purple and it started drooping to one side. I've given him vitamin B-12 to see is that may help and it seems like he got a little better because he started crowing again but now hes gone back to being purple, droopy, and quiet he is also very skinny. He does seem to eat sometimes and he drinks water. His crop does not stay full or hot so I doubt it is impacted. If anyone can help me or has any solutions please let me know.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Sorry that your rooster is ill. Where do you live, and how old is he? A purple comb can be caused by heart or breathing problems, due to a lack of oxygen in the blood. We see a lot of frostbite during cold winter months when temperatures are way below freezing. A comb that has had some frostbite in the past may also turn a little dark when they are stressed. I would make sure that he is taking plenty of fluids with vitamins and electrolytes for poultry. Offer him some egg or tuna with his regular feed. If a vet is available, I would take him in.

3. Mitzory2014

Mitzory2014 New Egg

Oct 26, 2016
    I live in Miami Florida and the weather is completely normal around these parts but ill try the egg and tuna tip, Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by