Purple comb, extremely tired, then dead?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickMandy, Jan 24, 2012.

1. ChickMandy

ChickMandy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    Amaranth Ontario
    We took on three "scabby" chickens from an egg farmer last summer. They were in a bad way, and we don't know how old they are. Last Monday (16th) one of them had an extremely bloody vent. She had been pecked at badly and when my husband cleaned her off, there didn't seem to be a prolapse or anything. We believe this chicken stopped laying in September last year.

After this incident, we put her back in the coop and monitored her to make sure no one was bothering her. She became very quiet and just slept most of the time, even stopping to fall asleep in the middle of the commotion of the coop. A few days later, my daughter noticed her comb was turning purple. I don't know if she was getting much food or water because she just stayed away from the others and slept.

A couple of times over the weekend, she was so huddled into herself that I thought she had died. Well, yesterday morning my daughter found her buried underneath the handing feeder. She must have put herself there anticipating she was about to die. This all happened in the course of one week exactly.

Last night, my husband checked on the chickens and noticed that one of the other scabby chickens has a purple comb. He did not know that the one who died yesterday had developed this same thing as he's been away with work. Now she too has become extremely tired and huddled into herself.

It might be worth noting that these chickens had been laying eggs with weak, light-coloured shells and watery whites. Like I said, the first one may have stopped laying last September, and this one probably followed suit shortly after because we haven't had many eggs like that for a while. We just figured they were old chickens, and that's what their eggs looked like.

We have 20 chickens in total, but the majority (18) are less than a year old.

Any help or information would be much appreciated.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

From what I've read, a purple comb indicates poor circulation resulting from various causes, including heart issues. This thread link has a lot of info. that you may identify with: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/401705/purple-comb-help-with-photo
    Something that stood out to me was checking really well for parasites...that they tend to gang up on birds who are unwell. So if these birds are having heart or other issues, they may be being weakened even more by parasites. Good luck with this chicken...

3. ChickMandy

ChickMandy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    Amaranth Ontario
    Thank you! I know we've had some issues with lice, and when my daughter found the first dead chicken, lice started crawling on her like they were abandoning ship. Maybe they went from the deceased chicken to the next easiest victim, or like you say, the next sickest/oldest.

We used Dawn liquid soap on them last year, but it's too cold to do that now (winter in Canada). I'll talk to my husband and see what he wants to do. I'm not sure about using chemical powders.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by