purple comb just died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dmccann, Aug 19, 2010.

1. dmccann

dmccann Songster

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    I just lost her,posted this morning.Cooked her egg, she did not eat , dusted her with de incase i missed any parisites, just walked out of garage and heard shaking went back in she is up side down. What really breaks my heart is i knew something was off with her,told husband,any ways always run with what you think. Thanks for the help . I also noticed a wheeze before she died.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    So sorry for your loss.

3. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Songster

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I'm so sorry.[​IMG]

4. dmccann

dmccann Songster

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    Thnk you this is the first one i have lost. I just pray it is not a disease. I placed a post about her 3 days ago,no one replied . blaming myself,raised her from a peep.

5. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Songster

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I'm so sorry. It's never easy. Sometimes it's just so difficult to figure out what to do to help them. [​IMG]

6. Purple comb is a respiratory problem. If any others experience this, used some VetRX..........Pop

7. dmccann

dmccann Songster

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    what is vet rx? i have not noticed any other purple combs,but i noticed a couple seem sleepy. thank you

8. hencackle

hencackle Songster

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    A purple comb is also the sign of circulatory problems. The wheeze towards the end and finding her upside down sounds like she had a heart attack.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  9. dmccann

dmccann Songster

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    oh i do not know what to say,just praying i do not have any major problems here, thank you everyone with out this forum i would be lost.

10. hencackle

hencackle Songster

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    This is Vet Rx, something like Vicks VapoRub for poultry. Also used for scaly legs.

What other symptoms do the others show besides being sleepy? Ruffled feathers, crouched position, and loss of appetite? IF so, compare what you're seeing in your flock to the photos and information provided here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by