Purple comb, just making sure I am right

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HeatherLynn, Dec 21, 2010.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Ok, well I had 2 roosters as the beginning of my flock. One died almost a year ago. One morning his comb turned purple and by the time I found out what it could have been he was dead. Now the 2nd rooster's comb is slowly turning purple. I thought at first maybe he is just cold or its the beginning of frost bite or something but it comes and goes. Some days his comb is back to normal. Yesterday it was normal. This morning it was over half purple. Is there anything I can do for him? Is this the heart again or could it be from the cold? Its not frost bite i am sure but I have no clue what else it could be.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    From most of what I've read on here it could possibly be his heart. Is he connected to the one that died? Maybe something they were born with, just seems a little odd that it would be a year later before this one shows up with it. I wish I could help more but I am not sure theres anything that can be done if it's the heart. All the rest of your chickens looking good? no symptoms?

3. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    It's not the cold. We had a roo like that and he did eventually die. I guess it was heart or organ failure, he was the same as what you described.
    Are you sure there are no other symptoms? Sometimes they get a purple comb if they are sick with a respiratory ailment. Is he crowing? Eating? Have you tried watching him when he doesn't know you are watching? They will hide their symptoms.

4. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    These are the only 2 birds I got from a friend of hers. These are the only 2 roosters who were allowed to live long either. All my other roos and hens were bought elsewhere and non have showed this problem. 1 other boy does have frost bite but it is pretty clear thats what it is. This does not look like any frostbite but does look like my other who died. He does not seem to be ill or in pain. He does seem to have stepped back from being the dominant roo. He is down to my 3 older girls and thats it. One of the youngers roos has taken on the dominant role but seems he did so without a fight because there is no sign on either of them that they fought nor have I seen them being aggressive to each other at all.

He is still crowing, still eating, will still chase off all the other young roosters, still mating his hens and trying to chase the geese through the fence. No nasal or funny sounds. I would say he is pretty active considering the weather.

If this is his heart is there anything I can do?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am not sure but you might do some research on it and see. I googled heart attack in chickens and saw some posts but nothing saying what to do for it. Sorry you are dealing with this again wish I could add more.

6. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I don't know why they turn purple but my rooster does the same thing. He is healthy as can be. Eats, crows the works. Some days it's normal. Maybe it's hormones.

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Comb color is an imperfect indicator of health. Sometimes the color means something, and sometimes it doesn't. Dusky purple is indicative of slowed down circulation. Now that could mean he is having heart problems, or it could mean it's just a chilly day. If he is showing no other signs of illness then I would attribute it to a cold day when the body is attempting to conserve heat by keeping the blood near the body core and not out circulating to the extremities.

I hope this eases your concerns. Good luck with him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by