Purple Comb on Roo???? Normal?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickLover98, Aug 9, 2010.

1. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    My RIR roo Jasper is acting perfectly normal, but last night, the back of his comb was purple! Today, It was sitll purple, but after we let the flock out to free-range, it turned red again! Strange. Is this normal? Could it be related to mood or heat? It has never done this before. It is about 80 degrees out, so his comb couldn't have been frostbitten. Please help! Sorry I don't have a pic. of the purple comb, but you know what combs look like, right? [​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Comb color is an imperfect indicator of health meaning sometimes color changes are significant and sometimes they are not. Purple coloring is indicative of stress or poor oxygenation. You say the bird is healthy, so it is unlikely related to poor oxygenation. It has been very hot everywhere, so I am inclined to think the color change might just be related to the heat or something that has caused him to feel stressed.

3. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the help. He's doing great now and is acting normal. He never acted any different, but he did show more anger towards the hens when his comb was purplish. He did his little "I'm the boss" dance around the hens many times. Maybe one of the hens made him REALLY mad. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by