purple comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dmccann, Aug 19, 2010.

1. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    help please, hen aprox 22 weeks old ,has been acting strange for 4 days now.Not moving around like others,her comb is now turning purple.Is this a disease? I have her seperate now she shows I no signs of interest in food or water. Shw was wormed at 14 weeks. any help please I d not know if she is laying or not

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  2. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I have read and heard that if there are purple combs that there is a respiratory problem. I have a rooster that has a little bit of purple on his comb when it is hot and humid outside and lets face it I know we have had outrageous heat indexes this summer. I am sorry to say that I am not sure if there is a treatment for this. I lost a hen with the same thing and I took her to the vet and nothing.

[​IMG] to you and [​IMG] that she will be ok.

3. dmccann

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    Thank you ,I can not afford vet visit,last time it was egg bound hen.I with the help of old posts saved her. I wonder if my husbands c pax machine would help? I again thank you.

4. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    is the hen inside the house or still outside. Maybe if you are able to move her inside with the air conditioning she may recover. I am not sure if it has been super hot like here but it prob has been hotter than the norm. is a c pax machine an oxygen tank type?

Your welcome

5. dmccann

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    I brought her in the garage ,it is cool there.She is in a crate. Yes the c pax is an oxygen machine,i would be afraid to use it on her.Would egg binding be possible? The machine is not a tank type. and again Thank you.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Have you checked for mites? If a hen goes pale and has no signs of respiratory problems then I would be checking for something affecting her blood's ability to carry oxygen. If mites have sucked her dry then she has no blood to carry oxygen. I don't think a CPAP machine would be any help because it doesn't actually use oxygen or concentrate oxygen out of the air, it just provides air pressure to alleviate sleep apnea.

7. dmccann

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    I will check her again for mites. Thanks for the imfo on c pax. thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by