purple comb!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cha Cha Chicken, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Cha Cha Chicken

Cha Cha Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    My 7 week old RIR has a purple comb- I have no Idea why- looks like she's been eating berries![​IMG] she acts normal and healthy, but looks so strange!
    can anybody help?

2. Pheonix

Pheonix Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    It doesn't say from where you live, but if it's getting I to freezing, it might be frostbite. The toes and comb are the first things to freeze from what I've read.

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Purple face or comb indicates a lack of oxygen. Could be a respiratory infection, or something else. Feel the legs and see if they are warm/hot. That would indicate a fever. VetRX may help. Perhaps others will have a good solution........Pop

4. Cha Cha Chicken

Cha Cha Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Im in Colorado..... but its only gotten cold today- the purpleness came up last week when it was still hot.
    wouldn't she be acting funny if she had a respiratory infection?

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Can you post a picture?

The back of our roo's comb would get purple during the spring and other times of year when his hormones were surging. I've noticed a similar thing with my hens in the spring, too.

Seven weeks is kind of early for the hormonal changes of puberty. As a hen gets close to her sexual maturity, her comb and wattles will gradually begin to turn bright red.

6. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Depends on the severity of it. Did her legs feel warm? Any wheezing, coughing, sneezing?.......Pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by