PURPLE COMBS AND FACE-pulmonary hypertension syndrome-aka Water Belly

the 2 chickens in the pic look like they are the sick ones sitting next to a healthy one to me i dont think it was photo chopped or watever its called . in the post she said hse had sick ones in with healthy ones . the pic looks fine to me maybe im wrong i dunno

we don't joke about fake pics on the other forum it has never been mentioned there to my knowledge. as far as i know it is for real but like i said i did have the same thoughts also after seeing pic so i'm not sure. i'd rather be safe and help someone than sorry later cause a 16 year old looses her whole flock if she doesn't know what she is doing.

for the broiler thing is this what you all where refering to or is it called something else?

Aspergillosis
Synonyms: brooder pneumonia, mycotic pneumonia, fungal pneumonia, Aspergillus . When the source of the disease is the hatchery, the disease is called brooder pneumonia. In older birds, the disease is called aspergillosis.
Species affected: All birds (domestic poultry, pigeons, canary and zoo bird species), animals, humans, and plants are susceptible.

Clinical signs: Aspergillosis occurs as an acute disease of young birds and a chronic disease in mature birds. Young birds have trouble breathing and gasp for air. Characteristically, there are no rales or respiratory sounds associated with aspergillosis. Feed consumption decreases. Occasionally there is paralysis or convulsions caused by the fungal toxin. Mortality in young birds averages 5-20 percent, but may be as high as 50 percent. Mature birds also have respiratory distress, reduced feed consumption, and may have a bluish and dark color of the skin (cyanosis). Nervous disorders, such as twisted necks, may occur in a few birds (see Table 1 ). Mortality in mature birds is usually less than 5 percent.

Transmission: Aspergillosis is caused by a fungus. The fungus grows well at room temperature and higher. All litter and nest materials (peat moss, peanut hulls, sawdust, peat, bark, straw) have been known to have been contaminated with aspergillus. Feed and water should be suspect when attempting to identify the source of contamination.

Treatment : There is no cure for infected birds. The spread can be controlled by improving ventilation, eliminating the source of the infection, and adding a fungistat (mycostatin, mold curb, sodium or calcium propionate, or gentian violet) to the feed and/or copper sulfate or acidified copper in the drinking water for 3 days. The litter can be sprayed lightly with an oil-base germicide to control dust and air movement of fungal spores.

Prevention: It is important to thoroughly clean and disinfect the brooding area between broods. Use only clean litter, preferably soft wood shavings. Do not use sawdust, litter high in bark content, or shavings that have been wet.

i've tried blowing up the pic so u all can see it better but photobucket will only allow same size or smaller. anyone know of a program that will allow u to upsize it to show more detail so everyone can see a better pic? mabe we can tell that way.

the pic i see on the forum she posted on is a little bigger. i don't see anything on that to show a photoshop change it's to perfect no over lay in colors anywhere or anything like most have on them i've seen posted here. nothing looks out of the ordinary to me except coloring of eyes, face, waddles and combs. even if it was tinted i don't see how it's possible to do it tinted different in 3 places on the same pic without showing a flaw in the pic somehow to tell. it looks to me the back one is not sick, the middle one is comeing down with it and the front one has it.

By 'broiler thing' personally I was not referring to an actual fungal or other infection - just that CornishX (which are a cross between white rock and cornish) grow so fast they 'outgrow' their pulmonary/cardiac systems and often suffer from cardiac insufficiency and or chronic heart failure when they get older. Many do not live past one year without just keeling over of a heart attack - they are really bred to grow fast and be ready for slaughter around 8-10 weeks.

here's a couple pics:

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/jumbo_cornish_x_rocks.html

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Broil/BRKMeat.html

*so, in *my* case- maybe I oughta start giving Miss Chook a regular ckn-sized dose of C-Q-T EVERY DAY, & IF 'our Friend' is REALLY suspecting AI -- Who do you report it to in the U. S.??

Chickens can have white beaks....for instance the white Orpington. She is just trying to get help. If it is a fake then shame on her for wasting our time.
Realsilkiechicken I would have her call her state dept. of Agriculture. Most times they will have someone come out and test her birds for free: especially if it is AI. I know if my birds looked like that I would.

Back
Top Bottom