Purple crop/wattles/lethargic/golf ball size firm lump in crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by debtrag, Dec 26, 2009.

1. debtrag

debtrag Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    North Central, Indiana
    I have 19 comet layers born in Feb or June, not sure which she came from. While I was checking them today, which I should do more regular that I have, I noticed one that seemed to me that was not feeling well.

She was away from the others, on the other side of the pen and her comb and wattles were blue/purple. This was about 4:30 p.m. and it gets dark here at 5:30 p.m. (North Central Indiana). She seemed to be falling asleep while she was standing.

Tonight I went into the coop after reading here for a bit and checked her crop. It is not full like the other hens (lengthwise and widthwise and soft), it is to off to one side, her right, golf ball size round (but doesn't stick out) and fairly firm. Her comb and wattles were back to red but she still seemed very lethargic. Didn't get excited or move around much when I was checking her.

I also felt her belly area and there didn't seem to be any egg in that area.

What should I do, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I do want to add that yesterday, it was pretty cold and rainy here and all my comets were outside and soaking wet. They could have gone into the coop and I tried to put them in but they came out as fast as I shoved them in. I just listened to her breathing from outside the kennel and I heard nothing in the way of weezing or labored breathing.

Thanks Deb

2. OhMyItsAndyy

OhMyItsAndyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    West England
    for the next couple of day's i'd keep a close eye on her, make sure she is eating and drinking and see if she get's any better
    Hope she get's better x

3. debtrag

Mar 13, 2009
    North Central, Indiana
    I brought her in and put her in a crate with water. She's sleeping now but her weight bothers me she is light as a feather. My golden comets have not gotten very big or heavy. They sure are good egg layers though. 17-18 out of 19 daily, even at this time of year.

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    It's good you brought her in. Don't put any food out for her, just the water. In the morning you will be able to check her crop again and see if it has went down. If it is still lumpy you're probably dealing with impacted or sour crop. If it goes down I'd still keep her in for a few days to watch her. You'll be able to check her droppings and monitor her food intake that way.

My red-stars are pretty light bodied too. You may want to go out and handle a couple of them that you know are healthy to get an idea of what she should feel like.

If it's not a crop problem it could be something as simple as she's low hen and the others are keeping her away from the food and water. Keep us updated and good luck with her.

5. debtrag

Mar 13, 2009
    North Central, Indiana
    Thank you OhMyItsAndyy,

I don't think she is quite the lowest. If roosting position in the coop is any indication, of the three roosts, she was on the middle roost in the middle of the other hens. 10 hens on top, 7 hens on the middle (of which she was one), 2 hens and the rooster on the bottom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by