purple dots on Runner's bill? (added a pic)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nettie, Nov 21, 2008.

1. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    My 3 1/2 month old fawn and white indian runner (Victor) has developed purple dots on his bill in the past couple weeks. Victor is supposed to be male however it's seeming more and more like he's actually a she lately (larger size/weight than my other female, but quacks loud enough to make ears ring! i guess i'll know for sure in a other month and a half!).

He's going through his juvenile molt currently. the dots (which i can't seem to get in a photograph due to the flash) look like someone poked a purple ink colored pen about 30 times in an area about the size of quarter on the top of his bill. Is this just a color defect? a nutrition problem? maybe a part of the molt? I can't seem to find any info online, and i am a new duck owner. Should I be worried?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  2. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Could it be a bruise? injury to the beak? [​IMG]

*bump*

3. nettie

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    here's a picture of the dots. I had to scoop him up and bring him inside to get the picture. He likes to be held on his back (like a baby) so he enjoyed the good head rub i gave him for his trouble.. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had to enhance it a bit on the computer so you could see the dots as well as i see them in real life...

4. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Hmmm....since they have blood vessels in their bills the vessels may be showing up under the bill. I don't know.... [​IMG]

5. nettie

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    well it's been on his beak for about 2 weeks and its darker now then it was when i first noticed it.

6. nettie

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I'm still wondering if anyone know's why my ducky has these dots on his bill...

The dots have gotten darker and less purple looking now. They are more brown now, but seem to have gotten darker. If it's a bruise shouldn't it have gotten better by now? He's had it for almost a month!

Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated

7. Hi,
    Our runner girl had the same thing happen to her and now nearly her whole bill is covered in spots that kind of blend together.
    She never looked in any pain, and from the inside of the mouth there was no injury so I left it alone. It started out like yours though, just a few and then it spread and it seemed to start when she was about 4-5 months of age. At first I remember thinking she just had mud on her bill and trying to wash it off but it never came off.
    [​IMG]

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ooh..i dont know..but, what a cutie!..[​IMG]..

9. nettie

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    PineBurrowPeeps, how lod is your duck now and does she still have this?

10. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    My girls get those spots when they are on point of lay.
    I call them "pretty spots" or freckles.
    They get darker as the season progresses and fade somewhat when they are in molt or off laying cycle.

They are nothing to worry about. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by