Purple edging on roo's comb and green poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gooseluv, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Gooseluv

Gooseluv Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2015
    PEI Canada
    Hello
    Cletus, our 1 year old Welsummer Roo is not himself today, he is sitting in his run and resting his eyes, most unlike him.
    A week ago one morning I noticed his eye was watering, then I noticed his comb in the center, at the base was swollen, I immediately put him on tetracycline and did that for 4 days (ending 3 days ago). The Swelling seemed to be lessened.
    (Throughout the summer, I have noticed the edges of parts of his comb were purple, but it seemed to come and go, and since he otherwise seemed healthy, I didn't worry about it.)
    Today, I noticed him hanging out in a sheltered portion of his run, and when I held him, he snuggled in and closed his eyes, when I last checked on him, he was sitting in his run.
    His comb has the purple edging again and while I was watching him, he poohed out a runny lime green poop. I looked in the pen and found 2 other such poops. I looked in his mouth, does not appear to have any sores or lesions.
    He was eating fine yesterday, his crop seems empty today.
    Any ideas anyone?
    I have included some pictures below.
    (Note the white flaky crust on his comb, is that anything to worry about?)[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  2. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    I'd start by checking him for parasites. Sometimes they'll cause combs to go purple. With the strange stool, I doubt this is the answer but it's the easiest to check for just in case....

Are you using electrolytes or water softeners?

Happen to be any salt blocks for cattle or such near by?

If he is declining rapidly.

I'd administer some terramycin (or something similar - Penicillin) . Many bacteria can cause these symptoms and are susceptible to terramycin (Aureomycin, Penicillin, etc).

Now worse news...

If it's viral - probably no treatment.

Purple combs often occur when a bird has a failing liver or heart. Of the 2, I'd wager liver with the green stool. I wouldn't rule the heart based illness out however. In these instances, the prognosis for your bird isn't favorable...

3. Gooseluv

Mar 27, 2015
    PEI Canada
    I was reading that it may be liver, that would be sad :(

He is drinking a fair amount of water on his own, and when I picked him up tonight he threw up some water.

Could he have eaten something bad, and his body is trying to move it out?

4. Gooseluv

Mar 27, 2015
    PEI Canada

We don't have salt blocks around.

I don't have Terramycin, but I do have tetracycline, should I put him back on it tomorrow?

5. Gooseluv

Mar 27, 2015
    PEI Canada
    I noticed he was drinking a lot of water and his crop was like a ballon. Through a bit more research I determined that he had sour crop. I tipped him forward this morning and massaged everything out of his crop, I then gave him some coconut oil and massaged his crop, working the oil around the inside of it. The water in his run has no ACV in it today and I have removed all grains from his feed, just his pellets.
    He has perked right up and his comb is looking better already.
    I'll keep my eye on him and continue to empty his crop if needed and follow other guidelines I found to help him overcome his illness.
    He continues to have the bright green stools today that are elastic/membrany like, not sure what that is all about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by