purple eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by melmonkey, Jun 21, 2016.

1. melmonkey

melmonkey Chirping

Jun 19, 2009
    Tyler, TX
    l have a hen who is laying purple eggs!(actually they are buff with a lavender hued bloom) but if l read the info on croad Langshans hens correctly, their eggs are like this....l am trying to download a photo from my cell phone....lol....the laying hens are RIR, black sexlinks, Americauna, Black Copper Marans, Cream Legbar, gold laced Wyandotte, Speckled Sussex, and a black Australorp: the rooster is a Cream Legbar....l don't know which brown egger hen is the "purple egger"...any ideas?"

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    More than likely your Americana is actually an Easter egger and that's who's laying it. Photo of her would help.

3. MyChickenCookie

MyChickenCookie In the Brooder

Jun 21, 2016
    I do agree. What color are her legs and what type of comb does she have? Ameraucanas have blue legs and have pea combs only. Easter eggers are mixed breeds so they can have any type of comb or leg color.

4. AuntNomi

AuntNomi Songster

Aug 13, 2015
    Callahan, Florida!
    I'd love to see a picture of this egg. I can not wait til my Easter Eggers are laying to see what colors I get. Congrats!

5. Athaid

Athaid Songster

^ Agreed :D I'd love to see pics.

6. CountryFlock

CountryFlock Songster

Apr 24, 2014
    United States
    Show me these purple eggs please! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by