Purple eggs??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jeff9118, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Jeff9118

Jeff9118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Greenup KY
    This is for all you EE people. This may be a stupid question but just curious if this is possible. Say you took a rooster that comes from a line they lay pink eggs and crossed him to a hen that lays light blue eggs. Is it possible for the egg genetics to maybe blend and produce purple or lavender colored eggs? The reason I ask is because I was at a friends yesterday and he has a mixed hen who hatched from a blue egg who now lays a brown egg with calcium deposits or worty looking things all over. All of the deposits are always purple or blue though which gives the apperarance of a spotted egg. He showed me 6 of her eggs he has been collecting and I have never seen anything like it. Each egg had several colored spots and most were a pretty shade of purple on a medium to light brown background.

2. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    A purple polka-dotted egg? [​IMG]

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I dont know how you get it but you may be rigiht with that because yes someone on here said you can get purple eggs from EE'ers [​IMG]

4. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

There was a chap in Britain who marketed pretty coloured eggs via the supermarkets....some of which were reputed to be purple &/or plum colour....the hens laying those eggs were second crosses from an autosexing breed of blue egg layers (Cream Legbars) with various non blue egg laying breeds.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  5. Jeff9118

Feb 21, 2009
    Greenup KY
    Yes most of the eggs had purple spots and the others looked the same except it looked more blue on a few. I am not color blind and I know what I saw. [​IMG]

6. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    WOW.

That would be super cool!

Does he have any other hens like her? I would love to see some pics!

7. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    I'd love to see pictures of the eggs. Can you get any from him to hatch out? Like all of them? [​IMG] I'd even buy a dozen or two...or three.

It's probably possible. I've read that the Langshan lays a dark plum colored egg, but so far no one who has Langshans has been able to verify that.

Now I want chickens that lay purple eggs.

8. Jeff9118

Feb 21, 2009
    Greenup KY
    I asked last night and he included them in a shipment he sent someone but said she lays pretty good and he should have more soon. I will at least try to get a pic soon.

9. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Hmmmm..........that is an interesting thought. I know that with a green EE egg you basically have a blue egg layer and a brown egg layer mixed causing a blue egg with a sort of brown coating which makes a green egg. I have seen plenty of eggs from a green and a brown layer crossed which muddies the green down even more causing a brown/green color. From everything I have observed, it appears that instead of actually mixing colors, the eggs are almost layered. It just might work!!!!

10. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Pics???

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by