1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

purple eggs???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ReiMiraa, Dec 4, 2009.

1. ReiMiraa

ReiMiraa Chillin' With My Peeps

i remember reading somewhere about a new breed in south america that lays purple eggs? i think it was a chicken book i read. but what would the breed be?
    if anyone has one of these chickens i would be happy.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My Barred Rock sometimes lays an egg with a lavender tint...

But I've never seen a purple egg.

That said Ruth on here has some amazing multicolored eggs.

3. BlueMottie

BlueMottie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Rock
    I recently had a quail lay a bizarre purple/gray colored egg. It was definitely not blood. I still have the egg, I can't bear to throw it away or eat it, it's just too cool looking...so pretty soon I'm going to have a rotten purple egg [​IMG]

4. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Quote:You can always blow the contents out and keep it forever! [​IMG] Or, if you just let it sit for a few months in a well ventilated place, the yolk will dry up and become a little rattle. As long as the air can easily get to it, shouldn't smell while it's drying [​IMG]

5. Mary Of Exeter

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Also, I searched around, and purple tinted eggs have been reported in South Asia from Araucanas. That's all I can find about'em though [​IMG] I'd love to see one!

6. BlueMottie

BlueMottie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Rock
    Quote:You can always blow the contents out and keep it forever! [​IMG] Or, if you just let it sit for a few months in a well ventilated place, the yolk will dry up and become a little rattle. As long as the air can easily get to it, shouldn't smell while it's drying [​IMG]

Oooh, hey, that never occurred to me. Of course being clumsy and uncoordinated I'd probably squish the darn thing...so I think I'll let it sit in some corner forgotten for a few months [​IMG]

7. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Well if it is a chicken breed I think you actually read Green, Blue eggs.

8. Mary Of Exeter

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
  9. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    [​IMG]

10. Mary Of Exeter

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    I think you could use some purple eggs to go with those purple chickens [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by