You remind me of myself, just not as extreme. :p When referring to myself I say I’m a herder, not a hoarder! Lol I’m at 50+ chickens, 11 ducks, 4 geese with more in the bator, 3 dogs, 5 cats,a turtle, a tortoise, some toads and frogs, 2 mice, and 3 house rabbits. It hectic but I wouldn’t want it any other way.

You remind me of myself, just not as extreme. :p When referring to myself I say I’m a herder, not a hoarder! Lol I’m at 50+ chickens, 11 ducks, 4 geese with more in the bator, 3 dogs, 5 cats,a turtle, a tortoise, some toads and frogs, 2 mice, and 3 house rabbits. It hectic but I wouldn’t want it any other way.
I wanna grow up to be you one day 🖤

I wanna grow up to be you one day 🖤
Seize the opportunities presented, don’t look back other than to reflect on how one may better themselves for the future, recognize the power of one’s intention and it will work for one. I left a toxic relationship about a year back and everything else just fell into place. Crazy how it happens sometimes.

Seize the opportunities presented, don’t look back other than to reflect on how one may better themselves for the future, recognize the power of one’s intention and it will work for one. I left a toxic relationship about a year back and everything else just fell into place. Crazy how it happens sometimes.
We seem to have come from parallel worlds friend! Toxic relationships are a hard way to learn lessons but the knowledge finally stuck with me. I've never been happier than I am now. These feathered dinos are a really big pivot point in my life when it comes to finally going after what I've always wanted to do and its extremely satisfying to say I did it alone.
So happy for your happiness!!!

It was a rainy afternoon yesterday but I think the birds appreciated the break in the humidity. Its been HOT the past few days.
20200528_185636.jpg

Who knew chickens could pant? Makes sense but it's something to see. Frantic cooling efforts overall were a success. Everyone's a big fan of cucumbers and watermelon!
20200527_133443.jpg

I have one fancy feet lady, shes a BIG girl compared to the rest and I've noticed shes a mouth breather. Maybe it's just the hot weather? Breathing sounds normal, wings aren't being held out and shes eating and drinking fine. No bubbles or foam coming from anywhere either. Anything else I should look for? When the temp was really up there I noticed she stayed in the coop where it was cooler and wasnt quite as active. Got an isolation area ready just in case...
20200528_151946.jpg

Shes standing here but that gapey look to her face was pretty permanent the last couple of days. And her comb and wattles have always been fairly light compared to the others. It's even cooler today so I'll check when I get home from work. I leave around 4am everyday, I wake THEM up but its really difficult to see to do a check up so early. Fingers crossed big ol Bertha is feeling a little cooler today!

Also, I have EIGHT ducklings that hatched over the past few days!!!! Soooooooo cute.

20200527_180558.jpg

RIP my Sonic the Hedgehog hat. Worth the sacrifice.

Happy friday all!!!

We seem to have come from parallel worlds friend! Toxic relationships are a hard way to learn lessons but the knowledge finally stuck with me. I've never been happier than I am now. These feathered dinos are a really big pivot point in my life when it comes to finally going after what I've always wanted to do and its extremely satisfying to say I did it alone.
So happy for your happiness!!!
I’m happy for your happiness! You’re going to love the ducks, even though they make a big mess! They are goobers. Enjoy the rain, it down poured for hours here yesterday, flooded most the yard. The ducks are happy! Have a super fantastic day:celebrate

It's been a crazy couple of weeks. Spring weather is upon us and the sleepy village where I work and live is waking up despite the current situation of the world. Also I've been trying to get the coop done cause move out day!!
I was lucky enough to have an old garage/shed that I converted using a bunch of repurposed materials!! I figure slowly but surely I'll reno and give the ladies what they deserve! Also, I dont *own where I'm living I just have super amazing landlords! But fingers crossed I can work something out done the road.
Anyways here's our before and after!

View attachment 2162295

The house I'm living in sat empty for over three years after my landlord's mother had passed away. I'm the only person to live in this farmhouse that isnt family in over 80 years!! It's a really cool concept to me (The road I live on is even the family name, so this is country living eh?)

View attachment 2162299

So the official coop portion is 12x12, theres 3ft of hardware cloth all around the inside of the building that's buried 6 inches down. Get through that AND stone predators! I completely raked and leveled out the dirt floor before using pine shavings (although I'm interested in this coffee ground bedding I've been hearing so much about..) Its amazingly cool and ventilated despite the humid weather we've been getting (I've never seen a chicken pant before!)

View attachment 2162307

Run is smaller than I'd like at the moment but will be expanded shortly. They have LOTA of room and numbers will be dwindling. Also I have every intention of letting them free range!! Run also has 3 ft of hardware cloth buried 6inches and an overlap of some chicken wire just because.

Mr. Magoo is a proud chicken tender :D
Great job. I rent my space too - currently "scouting" for a country place to call home - for self and flock family. I am really enjoying your thread, so keep up the good work.

This is June!!

Monday afternoon pets with my favourite chicky. Johnny and June were the first to settle in on my lap and have been favourites ever since! Shes an Azure Blue from Freys Hatchery (Which I found out was pronounced like fries.. or "frys" and had a fit of uncontrollable laughter). She and her 4 "sisters" were part of my original plan. I only have 4 Azures now, I gave one and a barred rock pullet to a friend who was starting her own small flock.
Shes 10 weeks here. I feel like I'm always finding new flecks of black, brown and gray in her and the others feathers.
20200601_171914.jpg

Sooooo sweet and tiny and covered in a bit of poop at 4 weeks! Stinker 💩

20200413_174549.jpg

Johnny and June settling in for a cuddle at 4 weeks. This is when they really started coming around, the rrest of the friendlies followed suit around a week or so later.

20200412_135104.jpg

Back
Top Bottom