purple male x bronze hen genetics.

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by pedda munnangi, Mar 10, 2013.

1. pedda munnangi

pedda munnangi Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2012
    Breeding a purple male with a bronze hen produces male chicks Males looking indiable but actually split to purple and bronze, purple gene on one chromosome and bronze gene on another chromosome. The female chicks have one purple gene on one Z chromosome ( that is the only Z chromosome it possess ) and the other is a sex chromosome W which does not carry any genes. Hence it is a purple. If we have to say that the hen is " a purple split bronze" ?? Which chromosome the bronze gene sits on ???? Is it the Z chromosome ?.. In other words , Is there a binding site on the Z chromosome for the bronze genetic nucleotide to fit in, besides purple, By the by neither of these are pattern genes. and both are color mutations from India blue though.

2. Arbor

Arbor Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    Canada
    From breeding purple male to bronze hen, the male would carry a purple gene on one chromosome and a bronze gene on the other (purple on one Z, bronze on the other Z). Hen would be the same (purple on the Z, bronze on the W). Bronze is not sex-linked, therefore it can be passed on by the Z or W chromosome. Its not that the W does not carry the genes for colour. In purple (and other sex-linked peafowl) the purple gene on the male chromosome is dominant over any colour that is carried on the female chromosome.

3. pedda munnangi

Feb 19, 2012
    So, the W sex chromosome can carry any colored or pattern gene but not the other sex linked genes, Is that the reason, why a purple hen can not be split to a Cameo ? correct.

4. Arbor

Aug 14, 2011
    Canada
    Yes, that is correct. Sex-linked genes seemed to be attached to the male chromosome only, and do not transfer. However, just as we see some sort of crossover effect for the origin of peach, it may be one day that a non-sex-linked version of purple, cameo, peach or violetta may arise due to mutation of the chromosome, just not in the same way.

5. pedda munnangi

Feb 19, 2012
    Is it possible to have another binding site for a bronze genetic nucleotide to fit in, on the Z chromosome of this hen ?? besides the presence of purple gene which is already there. Then we can have a bronze split purple hen, at least technically. I have not come across the names like Opal split cameo or jade split purple.My thinking is getting crazy.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  6. Arbor

Aug 14, 2011
    Canada
    Technically, you could achieve a Purple bronze (indigo as clifton Nicholson Jr has called it). Two bronze genes and one purple gene on the hen, and two of each coloured genes on the male. I'm currently attempting several of these types of genetic combinations. One has already been produced, but I need to do some more test breeding to confirm the actual genetics behind it. 2014 will be more productive for me, as I will have 4 combinations of breeding age. Clifton also said that he had a bronze charcoal male that was supposed to be three last year. I had not received any further communication from him in about a year. I was hoping for a pic or two!

7. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I don't think the w chromosome carries the bronze gene at all, if that was the case only hens could ever be bronze! Of my understanding of genetics is correct genes don't really just flip flop around like that (occasionally there are things like jumping genes but that doesn't happen regularly). Sec linked genes are all on the z and the other genes can be on any of the other chromosomes peafowl have (not sure how many).

8. pedda munnangi

Feb 19, 2012
    Since bronze is not a sex linked color, male or female needs two copies to express the color. Whether the w chromosome carys a bronze gene or not is a question. Even If it does, the purple gene on the Z chromosome dominates. Hence, it will be a purple split Bronze. On the other hand , the presence of a bronze gene on the Z chromosome besides purple, then, I think it will be a bronze purple hen, a new color like Arbor indicated. All the zillions of cells in any peafowl carry exactly the same genetic code patterns on all the paired chromosomes present in each cell's nucleus.Different chromosomes in different cells do not carry varying genetic material.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  9. Arbor

Aug 14, 2011
    Canada
    I agree with Pedda, I think you may have just contradicted yourself? First statement and last statement. Bronze is not sex-linked, therefore it can be carried on both the z and w. A hen needs two bronze genes to be bronze, therefore one needs to be on its z chromosome, while the other is on the w chromosome.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  10. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    No I didn't contradict myself it's not sex linked so its not carried on either of the sex chromosomes at all. It's carried on one of the other ones! If it was carried on the w only females could ever be bronze and if it was carried on the z it would be sex linked so it isn't carried on either.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by