Purple Martins

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by TammyTX, May 19, 2009.

1. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    The Martins did not move into the house this year and I haven't seen any in the area. We have Barn Swallows...I can watch them out the window in their mud nest as I type...but no Martins.

Has anyone else had fewer Martins this year?

2. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    We have a little pair of barn swallows making their nest on our second story balcony. They would fly over our heads as we sat on the porch and they would stop and sit on a hanging phone line. We didn't know what kind of bird they were but I knew they had to have a nest somewhere or be building one on that porch. Finally found it, a little dirt nest they are building in the corner. We even see them come to the edge of the pond to get mud. They are so beautiful, and fast - we are really enjoying watching them. I'm looking forward to seeing their babies.

3. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Funny, they are on the Minnesotabirds.com site, but I dont think I have ever seen one around our place... we have barn swallows, pigeons, mourning doves, robins, those irritating irridescent black bird things, and too many magpies... not many of the pretty or nice birds around our place....

4. TammyTX

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:When the babies get older they perch on the edge of the nest. Last year we had 4 in the second hatch and they were so ugly/cute! .....their poo on the other hand, not so cute! ...especially on my front porch!! [​IMG]

5. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Hey Tammy,

I live near Carthage, TX and my 2- 12 family Martin houses are full! Did you clean out the houses from last year? Also, I have a blue bird problem. The get here before the martins and try to take over the entire house. I have the S&K houses and poles and the really keeep out starlings and sparrows becuse of the moon shaped holes vs round. My barn swallows are on the front porch.

6. TammyTX

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:You are so lucky! I cleaned the house and we had it back up in February. We have the 24 family stackable kind with the large round holes; I would like the kind you are talking about because they do seem safer. The house is about 12-15 feet in the air. Next year I'm going to try gourds.

I saw a scout w/in a couple of days but none moved in. I think it's because of the drought, maybe? There have been more Bluejays in the area and they may have scared the Martins off.

The barn swallows hatched about 3 babies. I noticed that one parent had a flappy feather on it's head, then I realized it was a flap of skin after I read the post of someone here who had hawk damage to the head of their chicken. The flap fell off and the birds seems fine now but it looks like it's bald.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by