Purple mold in waterer???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by thehainline5, Aug 26, 2013.

1. thehainline5

thehainline5 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2013
    We have a 5gal bucket with the nipple system attached. I started adding ACV to their water about a week and a half ago. Today i went out and checked and the water was full of this strange purple mold!! Now i am very worried about my chickens!

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Why are you using ACV? People often flush their water lines with citric acid to clean them out. I use containers and clean them out with Oxine AH. It prevents algae from finding a home in the waterers.

3. thehainline5

thehainline5 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2013
    Someone told me to give them apple cider vinegar in their water. To help with lots of things... It didnt help :/

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    "Purple mold" is likely a photosynthetic bacteria of some sort. Such bacteria are normally associated with relatively extreme chemical conditions and make their living using a combination of photosynthesis and metabolizing either organic or inorganic compounds in the environment. The vinegar in bucket could easily supply the organism's needs.

5. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Since it isn't metal, you could just clean it out with salt or copper sulfate, and scrub brush or sponge that gunk out of there. I find myself having to scrub clean my waterers about once a week. I spray a little Oxine in there, scrub them out, and rinse them. It should be done more often when using supplements in water. I do this with trough feeders too. I dump the remaining water at night when I lock up birds and rinse out waterers with a high pressure hose, then refill the next morning. I think lots of folks tend to overlook cleaning out waterers daily.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by