1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Purpose of Bantams?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SouthernBYChickens, Mar 28, 2012.

1. SouthernBYChickens

SouthernBYChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Alabama
    Okay, so the other day, my wife and I stopped in at a newly opened feed store in town. The chickens in the pens outside is what caught our eye. Everyone of them were bantams (rooster and hen) pairs. They were absolutely beautiful chickens. We went in and looked at some other chicks and then the people showed us their incubators and some of the bantam's eggs. Obviously, the eggs were alot smaller than what I am used to collecting from my own chickens. So, that led me to question why do people keep bantams? Other than the idea of owning them just because they are a beautiful bird, are their any other reasons a person would want to keep them? Any other benefits other than "looks" because the eggs are just too darn small to benefit the average Joe? Thanks for your input!!!

BTW - is it okay to let bantams stay in the same pens/coops with standard breeds?

2. bantams can stay with LF, they usually rule the roost! LOL

Well bantam eggs are good for painting and decorating, and people like to buy the eggs cause they are JUST SO CUTE!

if you live in the city sometimes bantams are better since they are smaller and fit better

Bantams are usually wanted so selling their chicks are wanted, because people want banties!

other then those i have no reasons LOL

3. a123andpoof

a123andpoof Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    In my area one of the local feed stores sells bantams just because they are good sellers with the local asians and other nationalities. I personally get them for their looks and while they are not the best layers of my flock during decent weather as in only in the summer lol I get around 4-5 eggs a week.

4. dixiegal62

dixiegal62 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    Arab Alabama
    Well besides them being so pretty and good Mammas the eggs are great for pickling. I love how cocky my Roos are. My grand kids love eating the little eggs for breakfast. I do have them in a separate coop and run not because I'm worried they'll get hurt but because I worry my regular flock will get their bottoms whooped [​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Bantams are great - you can keep 2 or 3 times as many without overcrowding. [​IMG] Bantams and standards can do well together when raised together. Introducing bantams to an established standard flock can be fraught with difficulties because of their smaller size. All about the pecking order - when raised together from chicks, bantams frequently 'rule the roost'.

6. Jakl

Jakl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    They are also aggressive about food!!! They are the best bug eaters, they scratch the dirt up better, with more gusto than any other chicken.
    Also, as stated before, they are good mothers. They are cute.

7. SouthernBYChickens

SouthernBYChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Alabama
    Thank you all for your input. After reading these replies, we may think seriously about raising some bantams on the side in addition to our LF chickens. They sure are beautiful birds!

8. Honestly, bantams are really cocky, our OEGB tried and take on an OEG and a RIR, ...... *facepalm* needless to say he didnt win, but he think he did! LOL

9. Honestly, bantams are really cocky, our OEGB tried and take on an OEG and a RIR, ...... *facepalm* needless to say he didnt win, but he think he did! LOL

10. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    Another plus with bantam eggs, the ratio of yolk to white is higher.

The difference in weight between my bantam eggs and my usual layers is about 10-15grms. I haven't calculated how much weight of feed difference there is, but I know they eat less than the bigger girls.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by