Pus in mouth and severely swollen tongue

hen coop

Hatching
Oct 4, 2016
Hi there,

One of my hens has a severely swollen tongue and pus inside her mouth. I am not sure if it is canker (too much pus to see clearly) but am looking for any advice. I just started tube feeding her because she cannot eat or drink on her own. Her mouth is open because her tongue is so swollen. Thanks for your help!

It sounds like you are taking good care of her.. maybe she ate a spider or an ant that took a bite on its way in? Hopefully she is breathing OK but if she starts laboring to breathe you may need to consult a vet.... epinephrine works for swelling of the airways in humans but not sure about chickens poor chicky

I was reading another thread on here about giving 250 mg of metronidazole as a treatment for canker. I picked up some API General Cure (see link below) but am weary of giving this to her as it says it is for fish? Has anyone used this product before?

I feel I have to do something for treatment soon as she cannot close her mouth. Vet quotes were far too high for me to entertain that option unfortunately.

link to product here: https://www.amazon.com/APH-Powder-G...d=1475616350&sr=1-1&keywords=api+general+cure

I purchased some API General Cure for treating the canker but am unsure if I should give it to her in water. I read somewhere on here this is a good remedy even though it is for fish parasites. Has anyone used it before? Would it be okay for me to give her the 250 mg dose all at once in the tube feeder?

Let me clarify. The API General cure is in powder form and is 250 mg metronidazole and 75 mg Praziquantel. It is generally used for fish in fish tanks to remove parasitic fish disease. Pardon my reservation in giving it to my hen, I just want someone who has used it before to chime in on it's effectiveness and non-toxic effects to hens. Thanks!

Let me clarify. The API General cure is in powder form and is 250 mg metronidazole and 75 mg Praziquantel. It is generally used for fish in fish tanks to remove parasitic fish disease. Pardon my reservation in giving it to my hen, I just want someone who has used it before to chime in on it's effectiveness and non-toxic effects to hens. Thanks!

I am no vet but am a pharmacist
Those are very Big Doses so I would have to think they would be needed to be diluted and given to more than one animal.

Dog dose for praziquantel is 35 ish mg based on weight.... human dose of metronidazole is 500 mg - so just saying.. again I am not a vet but I would really check on this before giving it..

Back
Top Bottom