Puss filled bumps on her skin? PICS

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CarriBrown, Aug 8, 2008.

1. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I noticed these bumps on Giblet's skin last night. They look like zits that have popped and they are only on her neck. I've checked the rest of her body and there is nothing. She is acting normal, eating, preening, dustbathing, etc. Her eyes are clear, she is breathing normal, etc.
    I seperated her from everyone but she flipped out and I'm afraid she'll hurt herself (she made a flying leap through her brooder roof and onto our bar... I'm afraid next time she'll fall) so I put her back with everyone... for now.
    I mixed some Fura Zone with Corona (you horse people know what I'm talking about) and smeared it on her neck because I'm thinking it might be fly bites?
    Anyone know what this could be? Nobody else has this on them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

is it ant bites? ????

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Looks like bites of some sort that have abcessed. If there is puss, there is probably infection. She will probably have to be separated and given antibiotics.

Jody

4. CarriBrown

Do you think it's fly bites? I'll have to see if it's puss or if it's scabs. Poor little Giblet. She can't help that she has a naked neck! [​IMG]

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Carri, if it is a scab - pull one off and see if it drains. If so, then you have infection. I guess it could be nasty fly bites. I know I get really sore when a fly bites me. Could be feather folicle issues too, but she appears to be a NN so I would lean more towards the bites.

Jody

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  6. CarriBrown

Yep, she's a NN and has never had feathers in those places. It has to be bites. That's what I was thinking myself but I wanted confirmation from someone else.
    Thanks for all your help. I'll grab her while she's roosting (bed headed chickens are so much easier to work with!) and see what I'm dealing with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by